MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

k-98 restoration. removing bad plating

Article about: Do you need any more sons? I came into this thread late but can only echo what others have said. Very nice job. Thanks for posting, Andrew.

?

Default Re: k-98 restoration. removing bad plating

i could not wait either, so after some finishing touches on the parts, i had to put some on the stock to see how it looks. i'm happy with the well worn look. the pics dont show it as good as it really looks, bluing in the recesses, well worn on the surfaces but still some blue. it sure looks alot better than it did. barrel is coming along.
    andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture k-98 restoration. removing bad plating   k-98 restoration. removing bad plating  

k-98 restoration. removing bad plating   k-98 restoration. removing bad plating  

k-98 restoration. removing bad plating  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement k-98 restoration. removing bad plating
    P
    Many

?

the barrel must have been more heavly plated in zinc. it is 2 days now that it is soaking. it looks like most of the zinc plate is gone, but i think i'll let is soak another day to make sure its compleatly zinc free. it is killing me to wait though. but if i want the finish right, i'll have to. you can see the barrel is still fizzing off the zinc.
    andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture k-98 restoration. removing bad plating   k-98 restoration. removing bad plating  

Hi Andrew, I think it is a vast improvement. Well done.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well worth your hard work Andrew, very ballsy undertaking but it has paid off. I love the results.

Jay

Is your rifle originally a Russian Capture? I wonder if doing this would remove the electro penciling from mine...

?

it is not a russian capture, the electro penciling is usually an engraving. i dont think any thing short of sanding would remove marks like that.
    andrew

?

oop's i forgot to say thanks Jay. i had no idea how this project would turn out. i never removed plating before, but hey you have to start some place lol. i have been accused many times of having more balls than brains lol so far it pays off. knock on wood.
    today the barrel is looking really good, i only saw a few tiny specks of zinc left. i think in about 4 hours i can wash it down and decide if it needs to soak any longer. but here is how it looks this morning.
    andrew

Looks very good, my friend! Can't wait to see it finished!

Regards

Looks like your doing a great job...lookin much better now.

Rgds, Mike

?

thank you for the kind word's gent's. i decided i just had to try and make it look better, i could not make it worse. here is how it turned out.
    barrel stripped and ready to blue.
    barrel blued but not aged.
    all put back together, and looking good i think.
    hope you guys like the end result. i'll take better pic's in the morning when i have some light. its dark here now.
    andrew

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast