Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

k98 mauser

Article about: Hello. I'm new to this forum and what an interesting and very helpful site this is. I have been interested in history and archaeology for some time and recently more so the ww2 era. This is

mpw
    ?

Default k98 mauser

Hello.

I'm new to this forum and what an interesting and very helpful site this is. I have been interested in history and archaeology for some time and recently more so the ww2 era. This is mainly due to some relics coming my way from the Ardennes in the form of 2 k98 rifles. I am a bit puzzled to why the barrel lengths are different. Can anyone help me here? I intend to try and restore at least one of them to a reasonable standard as and when I can source the parts.

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture k98 mauser  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement k98 mauser
    P
    Many

Default Re: k98 mauser

Just a guess, but perhaps one is a g98, while the other is the carbine version K98k?

I would have said the same thing. I have a G98 and K98 hanging above the PC here and they would come to the same lenghts as in your pic

k98 mauser

mpw
    ?

Thanks for the replies. Have been cleaning and dissembling and am amazed at how well some of the parts have survived 65 years of burial. k98 mauserk98 mauserk98 mauser

The trigger works and the bolt spring is very strong as is the leaf spring in the magazine.

k98 mauser

All the parts shown are from the longer barrel rifle.

Very impressive, I like them a lot are you going to get an old used wooden stock for each of them or are you just planning on cleaning up what you have?

This might be of interest to you if you plan on making one of them complete: RARE! Original WWII German relic K98 butt stock metall parts | eBay

Thanks

Danny

mpw
    ?

Cheers for the link Danny. I have been lucky and sourced a complete wood for the rifle including all the metal components. I will post a pic as soon as I can clean all the oily wax off it. Here are a couple of photos of the remains of the site and markings.k98 mauserk98 mauser

mpw
    ?

Have now cleaned the oily wax off the wooden stock which has revealed 2 nice markings.k98 mauserk98 mauserk98 mauser

How did you go about cleaning off the oily wax?

I think sometime soon I'll attack the stock of my K98k with a hair dryer. When I shot my rifle the first time, the barrel heating up also warmed up the front wood hand guard part of the stock and the oily wax liquified and just dripped right off. I'm hoping that hitting the rest of the stock with a hair dryer will do the same.

By the way, I can't wait to see your finished product! I'd love to have a relic like yours.

mpw
    ?

Yes, the wifes hair dryer (when she wasn't looking) and when everything is warm a good wipe with white spirit. Then when dry a good polish with some furniture wax. Cleaning the barrel I have found some of the makers name (?) and will have to do a bit of research for info.

k98 mauser