MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Steel Helmet

Article about: Hey guys i was recently near Berlin for a metal detecting hunt me and a buddy of mine found this helmet. I bought it from him for 30€. When i got home i lightly washed the dirt off of it a

Default Luftwaffe Steel Helmet

Hey guys i was recently near Berlin for a metal detecting hunt me and a buddy of mine found this helmet. I bought it from him for 30€. When i got home i lightly washed the dirt off of it and i found out it is a Luftwaffe steel helmet. The emblem is clearly visible but it is not in amawing shape. So what should I do clean it with chemicals or do electrolysis? I also read somewhere to do nothing to the helmet... im lost and could use some guidance....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Steel Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe Steel Helmet

Quote by Kolby72 View Post
    Hey guys i was recently near Berlin for a metal detecting hunt me and a buddy of mine found this helmet. I bought it from him for 30€. When i got home i lightly washed the dirt off of it and i found out it is a Luftwaffe steel helmet. The emblem is clearly visible but it is not in amawing shape. So what should I do clean it with chemicals or do electrolysis? I also read somewhere to do nothing to the helmet... im lost and could use some guidance....
    you forgot to upload photos.

Even without photos i'd advise against using electrolysis unless you want that decal to dissolve away.

I can't post pics from my phone sorry. I will post them tonight at work. Glenn I think you are right I will post pics and then maybe you guys will send me in the right direction

Here is a pic guys sorry it took so long it I have been working like a dog lately...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Steel Helmet  

Wow, thats some heavy corrosion! I don't think Oxalic acid is going to help much here and even if you try, the strength of the solution you'd need plus the amount of time to try and shift even some of the rust will nuke that decal. I think I have to recommend just leaving it 'as is'

I see you've washed the helmet, I hope that isn't kick starting the rusting process again.
    Some will advise against it but I think in your case maybe hitting the helmet with a coat of rust neutralizer might be a option here, it will turn the rust a dark color (maybe not a bad thing) and hopefully wont affect the decal. I've bought a Loctite rust converter in a spray can but haven't tried it yet. Maybe just test some on the inside and if you like the result then spray the whole helmet. Maybe you can brush the stuff on around the decal to avoid damaging or darkening it.

If you go this route, please remember to take photos along the way as the results and process you follow could be a great resource to other guys in the same predicament.

Cheers
    Glenn

Limescale remover is a gentle solution to help some. What does the bird look like dry?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]