Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M16 Restoration Project

Article about: German M16, ET64 in good condition with a couple of cracks and the odd ding, well worth some love and attention after spending it's post war life in the care of bikers by the looks. Purchase

?

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    I would leave it as is it looks good, camos are hard to do I find and I'm never satisfied with them and I always have to redo it
    Yes I'm seldom satisfied with them either and this paint is bang on so why hide it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Restoration Project
    P
    Many

Exactly! Put the beauty up on display.

?

Liner installed with the help of my faithful assistant "Wanda". Note the stamped markings are nice and clear. Now the fun starts!

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Restoration Project  

Thats a great restoration job ! a job well done, it has a great finish to it, the colour is a great shade.......restoration is an emotive subject at the best of times, with the collecting fraternity divided into restore or leave as is camps..both camps have their merits, and each should be respected, every item should be evaluated as to extent of restoration needed, but in the case of a piece having little or no original finish/patina then I would err on the side of full restoration..............as is the case with this helmet.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    Thats a great restoration job ! a job well done, it has a great finish to it, the colour is a great shade.......restoration is an emotive subject at the best of times, with the collecting fraternity divided into restore or leave as is camps..both camps have their merits, and each should be respected, every item should be evaluated as to extent of restoration needed, but in the case of a piece having little or no original finish/patina then I would err on the side of full restoration..............as is the case with this helmet.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Thanks Steve,

Yes this M16 had nothing original to preserve apart from the basic shell and truly deserved some TLC. Here it is with the paint distressed enough to give the helmet some character. The gun browning step really helps. Next step will be to deepen the color of the paint which will hopefully bring out the green a bit more.

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

?

Here's the helmet after it's first rub of oil paint. I decided to try artists oils to deepen the paint and give it depth. Really happy with the result. Simply mixed the desired dark dirty brown and brushed over the whole helmet. Then took a rag and buffed off, might need to repeat a couple of times to get desired mottled effect as well, applied unevenly.

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

?

Another layer left to harden in the sun, harder to buff off but has given the helmet real character. Doing the inside again and should be about done.

M16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration ProjectM16 Restoration Project

Looks good.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

?

Great resto project and great helmet. Turned out very well.....to say the least.
    I say camo it - I dare you!
    Im sure, itll turn put out well. Anyway, if not, you have the ability to strip the camo paint and make it a uniform colour again.
    Did I mention, that I dare you to camo it?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Great resto project and great helmet. Turned out very well.....to say the least.
    I say camo it - I dare you!
    Im sure, itll turn put out well. Anyway, if not, you have the ability to strip the camo paint and make it a uniform colour again.
    Did I mention, that I dare you to camo it?
    Gosh now your just being cruel.
    I second that dare
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast