Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?

Article about: Hi, yes thanks for all of the advice you guys. Well, in contrast to what one might think, the steel is still very solid and firm. Perhaps some of you are already familiar with the term, but

?

Default Re: M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?

Yes, like allready sayed above. Don't touch him and let him be as a relic and let it tell his history.

Nice helmet.

Kris.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?
    P
    Many

Alright thanks!

Obviously some mixed responses..

Cheers

Quote by kenbent View Post
    Any good examples of before and after?

Best,
    Ken
    Yes, here...Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?

Hi Ken!

I really do like your M38.. I don't think it needs any treatment! If you can give this helmet a nice, stable environment - You will be fine

Josh

Or if you feel you can't live with this lid without wanting to 'do' something to it, i'll be happy to negotiate a price with you to take it off your hands.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Or if you feel you can't live with this lid without wanting to 'do' something to it, i'll be happy to negotiate a price with you to take it off your hands.
    I bet you would :-D.

The least thing I'm gonna do is to try and clear up the numbers... There are chunks of rust all over the inside rim, but they're quite easy to peel off.

I think I'll just give it a nice light treatment with a bit of acid (very mild) with a rag or something to clean the surface, without cleaning too deep and risking loss of paint or anything. On the inside I'm just gonna try and fix up the rim a little to see whether I can get the numbers showing.

After that, I'll make up my mind whether I'll sell it or not, the leather Karl Heisler liner is still there, I just took it out to make some pics.

The lid was found in The Netherlands, and most probably belonged to a paratrooper of the 2nd FJ Division, meaning regiment 2, 6, 7 or 23.

If the 'camo' really is a mustard camo pattern, it probably belonged to a member of 2, 6 or 7 and saw action in Italy (Südfront).
    It was found in Amersfoort where these regiments were stationed.

Cheers

Perhaps you will keep a photgraphic record of your project and post it for posterity? Keep details of the strength of your acid solution, the method and timings of application.

Personally I believe a wipe over with a solution soaked rag will do nothing but I stand to look and learn. Good luck!

Will do. I used some soap and hot water the other day to get most of the dirt out

I'll see what it does and keep you posted. No worries I definitely won't let the acid eat up the metal nor paint.

Cheers

Quote by kenbent View Post
    I used some soap and hot water the other day to get most of the dirt out
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think you've done more than enough. Do you have more photos taken after the soap and water trick? I bet it looks just fine now.

I know you're hell-bent on tidying this lid up somehow and I can't stop you so in your own best interest please remember you MUST use a neutralising solution when you go down the oxalic path as the oxalic will dry and leave horrible green/yellow crystals that are hell to shift once they've formed.

Once again, good luck!

?

Well its your helmet and whatevers said you have to make your own choices, personally i think the rust is far to heavy and deep seated to be able to see makers marks, lot no/ etc and i dont think a mild solution wipe over will have any effect on that flaky rust and metal, it appears that the rim has already become detatched at the rear because thin metal being eaten by rust

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast