Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?

Article about: Hi, yes thanks for all of the advice you guys. Well, in contrast to what one might think, the steel is still very solid and firm. Perhaps some of you are already familiar with the term, but

Default Re: M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?

This is the link to the helmet that in my eyes has been ruined the liner yes was curled up at one side but it WAS still attached to the padding.. Fallschirmjäger Mustard Camo Helmet****SOLD***** | WW2 Relics & Collectables
    wayne

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Fallschirmjäger relic - cleaning using... oxalic acid?
    P
    Many

Quote by ww2relicsandcollectables View Post
    This is the link to the helmet that in my eyes has been ruined the liner yes was curled up at one side but it WAS still attached to the padding.. Fallschirmjäger Mustard Camo Helmet****SOLD***** | WW2 Relics & Collectables
    wayne
    Ruined... I don't really see what can be ruined cleaning it from dirt and removing rust, + making the liner a little more vivid and supple?

sorry dude you ruined it in my eyes...you tried your luck trying to increase the value and failed in my eyes..i have a few helmets myself that have been soaked in acid (not by me) and look 1000% better than this result..
    sorry ken
    wayne
    PS when you mentioned in your emails prior to buying this you did mention cleaning i thoguht you ment gentle scraping away the dirt and a full on strip and dip

???

Helmet wasn't soaked Wayne... Just got a mild treatment with an old tooth brush? Of course it can't be 100%.

About the liner, it was just sitting loose. It wasn't attached to the padding anymore, I could just take it out. In fact, I flipped the helmet over and it fell out. The leather was all dry and dead, the leather care product made it at least a bit softer, and I'm sure the mild acid treatment did its job. A lot of rust is gone, so I'm glad I did. It's not all about how it looks you now. Sure I could dip it in a bath of acid and it would come out great, but I'm a bit worried about the integrity of the helmet so I don't.

It's all about preserving items like these, and IMO it came out cleaner and far more rust-proof.

I could strip it totally from rust using elektrolysis or something, but I won't. The little bit of original paint seen must be preserved. Especially the camouflage tones.

In fact, I flipped the helmet over and it fell out. That i find VERY hard to believe i'm afraid it was firmly stuck in place..i think you should add to your sales pitch you've taken the liner out then replaced it back after cleaning and given a shell treatment atleast be honest to next owner.....
    wayne

here you go no mention of a deep clean Leger, Oorlog & Marine - Overige Verzamelstukken | 2dehands.be
    wayne

I don't see it?

i know its really pissing me off it seems i cant add the link

?

Can i draw your attention to a thread that was posted in the restoration section of this forum concerning the useage of oxalic acid, how to make preparations to use, safety when using and the extreme hazards to ones health, despite the general warnings that we know about and have posted before, i think this particular thread should be required reading, sure its an acid and everyone knows to be careful, but this particular acid has some very nasty surprises in store for the unwary or the complacent, even for those who say im used to dealing with it can get caught out, because i would bet that the safety precautions advised are not fully adhered to because of time restraints, eagerness to complete a job or not having all the correct protective clothing to hand, this thread has been posted by Steve T, WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, please take the time to read it, it may prevent serious harm or worse

Quote by ww2relicsandcollectables View Post
    i know its really pissing me off it seems i cant add the link
    I'll give it a shot... M38 Fallschirmjager helm! Supervondst met camosporen! 2de Fallschirmjager Division - Te koop | 2dehands.be

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast