Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M40 - first helmet, restored (sorry!)

Article about: Here's a restored M40 I recently picked up from a friend who digs in Western Ukraine. It was found in a trench on the modern day border between Sumy and Kharkov Oblasts, which would place th

?

Default Keep on restoring!

VERY nice job on your first helmet! I have been restoring them for 10 years now, and have done over 50 German, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. There are various levels of restoration you can accomplish, including (1) Just issued, (2) Battle vet, with heavy wear, and (3) 70 years on. I personally like the battle vet. Refurbish a helmet that has met with the indignity of poor paint jobs (usually black for some reason), then nick it about the top and sides with metal implements. Sand for extra wear, apply soot, and you have the combat vet. A lot of fun to do, and you can achieve a very realistic appearance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 - first helmet, restored (sorry!)   M40 - first helmet, restored (sorry!)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 - first helmet, restored (sorry!)
    P
    Many

Your a scary man Mcmike
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Your a scary man Mcmike
    Only to small, defenseless animals. But I am getting better.

Arrow

Quote by Martin Bull View Post

this may just be a nice little project for the long winter evenings.....

Attachment 796567

Actually, it took less time than I thought. I've never tried this sort of thing before, but inspired by various posts on the forum I 'had a go'. The shell was in pretty good shape ( except for some rust holes and a very big stress crack, not visible in the photo ). It wasn't a from-the-river-bed relic ( the serial number on the nape is still visible ) and I have to say, the result has turned out looking rather better than I thought it would........

Certainly not one for the purists, but a nice display item for me at a very reasonable cost and actually quite a bit of fun working on it........

?

Great result, and another relic "saved" for future generations

Thumbs up

Thanks ! Actually, since posting the pic I realised that the flash on my camera doesn't really do it justice - the real thing looks a couple of shades darker.......

Anyway, all-in cost including shell, secondhand repro liner from e-bay, pins, decal and paint ( I already had the filler, primer and sanding sheets ) came to about £75 and at least I'm secure in the knowledge that I've 'faked' it myself !

?

Thanks ! Actually, since posting the pic I realised that the flash on my camera doesn't really do it justice - the real thing looks a couple of shades darker.......

Anyway, all-in cost including shell, secondhand repro liner from e-bay, pins, decal and paint ( I already had the filler, primer and sanding sheets ) came to about £75 and at least I'm secure in the knowledge that I've 'faked' it myself !
    You are welcome buddy. and a very reasonable price, that's a very good point too you know it's a repro/fake

Hello Martin,
    You have done a cracking job, very nice.
    Jonathan.

Thumbs up

Have to confess I was inspired also by one of your old threads...!

M40 Restoration

Arrow

Here's a pic taken later in the day in natural daylight, no artificial light or flash at all.....

...which is much more how it looks to the eye

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast