Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

M40 helmet resto

Article about: by davejb looking Good Phill whats this one gonna be Thinking of going the whole Hog and doing a Camo theme with a half basket SD SS......Seeing how thats the only decal i had left

Default M40 helmet resto

G'day all, Here's my New project I'm starting today.
    It's an M40 and the only mark i can find is an "N" so i assume its an NS shell but i could be wrong,maybe some one could tell just from looking at the shape {but i'm not that experienced} The rivets need some work or may have to be replaced, and i'm tossing up whether to sell the original outer band and buy a repro or restore this one, any thoughts?

Cheers PhillM40 helmet restoM40 helmet restoM40 helmet restoM40 helmet resto

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 helmet resto
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40 helmet resto

Gday Phill,
    That piece of what appears to be period wire looks good.A bonus mate.
    Good luck with her.

?

I say restore the outer liner band because it doesnt look too bad IMO from the pics provided.The wire looks cool and I hope you dont scrap it! I would try and look for an original liner (inner) and straps. Good luck Phil, I know it will look great when you are done!
    ~Dean

Thanks Guys, although, and i agree the wire in all it's simplicity looks the part, it isn't original, i added it myself just to give it a lift and see how she looked.
    As for the liner band it looks better than it is, 2 0f the pins broke trying to remove them, which i fully expected and the ring is quite corroded and brittle, i thought of spraying it with Cold Gal and trying to save it.
    It is stamped 66 n.A./59 but i cant see the maker.

Cheers Phill

You can find original liner bands on different sites. Sometimes they even pop up on that darned Ebay site. Even better, you might be able to find an original liner band and liner in "relic" condition and use that in this one. Depends on how much you clean up the shell. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result. Good luck with it.

?

Wow Phil! you fooled us! That's a sign you're getting pretty good at this! Slap that wire back on when you're done, too!
    ~Dean

M40 helmet restoM40 helmet restoM40 helmet restoThanks Mate, I've been on the look out for a liner set up for ages on e-bay but apparently so has everyone else!!! I have a repro inner spring band to suit and a repro chin strap so all i'm in need of is the leather liner which i can buy today (repro) no problems but for an extra $ 20 or so i can buy the whole set up, and i intend to fully restore it so i want a good liner.

Cheers Phill

Quote by Dean View Post
    Wow Phil! you fooled us! That's a sign you're getting pretty good at this! Slap that wire back on when you're done, too!
    ~Dean
    Haha thanks mate, i actually slid it off a bundle of steel reo bars on the Job awhile ago and it fit just right as they dont use Gal wire it ages all by itself

Yes, many of us are on the lookout on Ebay for liners. I've lost out on a few myself. It all depends on if you can afford to drop the cash on it because someone else can if you don't. Be patient, everything you need will show up at the right time. I have actually lost items at auction but another was posted shortly thereafter and I was able to grab that one. You'll get a good liner sooner or later. Good work so far.

?

Here we go again !!!, ok what I'm about to say may not get a good reaction, but i think this is one that should be left alone, i know you dont intend to sell it on and its for your display only, but the pitting on this one is different to the other one, because of the pits around the rim you will more or less be covering the entire helmet in filler and then having to reshape the rim which will actually make the rim broader/thicker, the liner ring is very fragile but should stay with this helmet, but if you add filler to the interior, the ring will not fit correctly and may break completely if its too tight, because its a size 66 only a 58 or 59 will fit the ring, but if you reduce the interior circumference you might have to buy another liner complete, and that may have to be for a size 64 helmet therefore you might not be able to use the original anyway, just my thoughts on this one, i know whatever happens youll do a good job but i think its a lot more work, time , patience and sourcing parts, now i'll stick me helmet on me head and wait for the flak

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast