Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M42 Restoration

Article about: I've talked to my dad, and he says I should leave it as is, heck he wants me to strip the paint off and leave it as a relic; and if I want a minty helmet I should buy a replica. What do you

?

Default Re: M42 Restoration

I've talked to my dad, and he says I should leave it as is, heck he wants me to strip the paint off and leave it as a relic; and if I want a minty helmet I should buy a replica. What do you lads think? Leave it as is, restore, or carefully remove the paint?

Nitram

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Restoration
    P
    Many

Of the options available I'd probably restore it the best I could. Filler etc, rebuild the edges. If you stripped it, it would look something like that M18 in my zombie thread, frankenstein helmet . Some dark grey textured paint and it could look pretty decent.

I'd rather spend the money restoring this one than settle for a Chinese Repro, if you strip it back it still wont be a legit Relic as such because it's been messed with, but it's up to you.

?

Mate you've already started, might as well keep going...If you strip it back it's just gunna be a mucked with relic!!

?

I haven't started, I got it in that condition. But I agree with y'all. Going to restore this one. Thanks for your opinions!

Nitram

?

Gave it a spray of primer today just to test out the paint, it's still drying. Progress!

Nitram

?

Here we go, primer dried, sanded it off, went abit under it in some areas. Found some old scribbles that were under the paint I got it in. Under those scribbles is a thin layer of primer, and then bare metal. I don't think this lid ever had any other paint on it! If it did, it's long gone!

M42 Restoration
    M42 Restoration

Nitram

EDIT - Sorry for triple post.

Judging by those scribbles, it looks like some kid had fun with that helmet in the back yard!

Don't forget you don't want any primer on the areas to be repaired or the filler wont adhere properly, looking good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2