Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 survivor

Article about: Hello, today I acquired a true survivor M42 helmet. It was beaten, it was painted black and has a hole in the dome, but to me it is beautiful. Stamping is still visible HKP66, 5548, and afte

Default M42 survivor

Hello, today I acquired a true survivor M42 helmet. It was beaten, it was painted black and has a hole in the dome, but to me it is beautiful. Stamping is still visible HKP66, 5548, and after removing black paint remnants of green paint are showing. I don't know what to do with it....yet. I'll start with removing some of the dents but no ideas after that........ Not a bad helmet for $35. Cheers JWM42 survivorM42 survivorM42 survivorM42 survivorM42 survivorM42 survivorM42 survivor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 survivor
    P
    Many

looks like the old pickaxe job,after the war.

I'm not so sure its the work of a pickaxe. It looks a little too large for that, and the metal hasn't been pushed in at the edges.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I'm not so sure its the work of a pickaxe. It looks a little too large for that, and the metal hasn't been pushed in at the edges.
    I agree, I'm assuming that the damage was done by a shrapnel; one of the edges indicates that something traveling at high velocity made that hole. I'll take a photo of the edge that I'm talking about.......

Hi, looks like there are some very similar size and shaped dents on the shell, as the hole. To be honest, it looks like a lump hammer or similar has been taken to it, not blast damage as these dents/indentations are almost identical. Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 06-10-2015 at 01:11 AM.

I love the fact that all of us have a different idea of what might off happened to that helmet; if that helmet would be able to tell its story........ it’s truly fascinating. All of that for $35.........

Quote by JohnyWoo View Post
    I love the fact that all of us have a different idea of what might off happened to that helmet; if that helmet would be able to tell its story........ it’s truly fascinating. All of that for $35.........
    Very true Johny, and at the end of the day that is half the fun of the hobby when we cannot "nail down" the history of an individual piece. Leon.