Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mosin Nagant restoration/preservation

Article about: So I picked up this Mosin Nagant yesterday which was in a rather bad condition, this in a way attracted me, so I decided I had to get it. I think I am going to keep it in this condition, but

Default Mosin Nagant restoration/preservation

So I picked up this Mosin Nagant yesterday which was in a rather bad condition, this in a way attracted me, so I decided I had to get it. I think I am going to keep it in this condition, but I still want to disassemble it, clean the insides, fix the trigger mechanism and try to preserve it the best I can. It is pretty beat up, and I think keeping it in this condition is a great way of honoring it's long and hard life.

Picture next to my more "minty" 1943 Mosin:

When disassembling it, I ran into a wall, one of the screws is pretty rusted and will not move, I could really use help on this one:

Parts disassembled so far:

I managed to remove a lot of rust/dirt using WD40 and a piece of cloth:Mosin Nagant restoration/preservation

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mosin Nagant restoration/preservation
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mosin Nagant restoration/preservation

Can we get a shot of the markings on the receiver?

Here you go:

1929 dated Izhevsk

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

WD 40 isn't good for the metal long term-try 'Ballistol'-pine oil based, German made spray-you might need to see a gunsmith with the right tools to get the action bolt out.

PS Fine steel wool and ballistol on the rust to stop it coming back.

Thanks lithgow, I just use it to get things loose etc, not long term. About the gunsmith thing, that is going to be a problem, there are nobody nearby and I think it would cost a bit. Might run by a hunting/weapon store tomorrow and ask again if there are any gun smiths around.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

nice little project you have there, for the screw the only thing i can think of is an impact driver, just be careful not to split the butt

What about soaking the stuck screw in a penetrating oil... break free, etc?

So I finally got the screw out of the rifle, I have got to say that this is one of the worst screws I have encountered, I even broke a screw extractor trying to get it out. There was a lot of work with the drill and chisel etc, but after a while it started to barely twist. The entire screw was filled with rust and dirt. Surprisingly, the result was not bad at all. I've removed all the dirt and rust and I managed to fix the trigger mechanism. Now I just need to get a replacement screw and I will be done. Also: Would renaissance wax work on preserving the stock as well?

Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

Don't know about the renaissance. But here is and old trick for wood. Get that lacquer off with remover, then clean the stock from grease, brake cleaner will do it. Let the stock to dry. And feed it with hot linseed oil , it will take 2-3 rounds. Then varnish it

Or dissolve some beeswax in turpentine, then mix it with linseed oil , warm the solution up and feed the wood.

I've heard good things about ren waxing the stock. Jeeze I hope you didn't pay much for that thing. I've got one right now for $100. Of course it is a 1939 Tula so not as desirable, but still.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast