Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Moths

Article about: What product would you recommend to kill or keep moths away to prevent mothing. So many items have been ruined by these creatures and i'm trying to prevent any visits to my stuff so i don't

OKW
    ?

Default Moths

What product would you recommend to kill or keep moths away to prevent mothing. So many items have been ruined by these creatures and i'm trying to prevent any visits to my stuff so i don't have to do restoration.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Moths

You have several options here. Moths balls work, but they smell vile. I hate them and they are not actually much good for humans too. You can buy cedar wood balls which are a much better option, but don't let them touch the garment or cap. Cedar wood rings can be bought which can be placed safely onto coat hangers. Another good product is Lavendar. This has a pleasant smell and moths hate it. You can grow your own and harvest it once the flowers start to dry up. These dried seeds can be placed in draw string bags or kept in open trays. If you then crush them every few weeks the smell will be refreshed again and again.

The best thing is prevention by regular inspection of your items and very careful inspections of anything new introduced into your collection. Turn it inside out and inspect every seam. Carefully use a clothes brush.

Cheers, Ade.

OKW
    ?

Thanks for that reply Ade. Do they only eat woollen items. I wonder how safe the German materials made from wood cellulose such as rayon are and if it appeals to the creatures?

?

Quote by OKW View Post
    What product would you recommend to kill or keep moths away to prevent mothing.
    I favour the badminton raquet method

Bringing up a really old thread here, but I am a little confused about this. Aren't all moths rather large (quarter-sized) creatures? I have never seen one in my house. Why are moths such a concern? I know what they can do to clothing obviously, I just don't really understand how they can get to them in the first place. Are there miniscule species of moths that live and breed in the clothing?

mpw
    ?

Here in the UK the common clothes moth is quite small. Beware for it is spring that these small but destructive creatures are on the prowl!

Mark.
    Attached Images Attached Images Moths 

JMM
    ?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Bringing up a really old thread here, but I am a little confused about this. Aren't all moths rather large (quarter-sized) creatures? I have never seen one in my house. Why are moths such a concern? I know what they can do to clothing obviously, I just don't really understand how they can get to them in the first place. Are there miniscule species of moths that live and breed in the clothing?

Hi
    These creatures can make serious damage on books too. Best thing is to take periodic inspections on wool and paper material. Are you sure you've never seen anything like it at home?
    Attached Images Attached Images Moths 

Clove oil is supposed to be good as well, I soak several rags in it and discreetly place them in my collection room out of sight. The smell is very pleasant and I don't have an insect problem. This thread has reminded me to get some more, the oil eventually dries out and loses it's scent.
    If you periodically place your cloth items in a plastic bag and place them in your freezer overnight it will kill any nasties that are setting up home in your collectables.
    Last edited by sandgroper; 03-28-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Add more info

I mean we have moths here, but they stay outside and they tend to only go for lights. I have found the occasional spider in my room, but I have never seen a moth in my house.

I suppose I will go buy something that I can hang up in my war room.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.