Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A new M42 project - watch this space!

Article about: Hi all, Here is my new rescue project - a relic M42 that ( hopefully ) will emerge from the acid bath a new creature ......... " it's ALIVE, ALIVE!!!!!" ( insert mad scientist laug

Default A new M42 project - watch this space!

Hi all,

Here is my new rescue project - a relic M42 that ( hopefully ) will emerge from the acid bath a new creature ......... " it's ALIVE, ALIVE!!!!!" ( insert mad scientist laughter here )

These are the auction images, and the fact that the springs are still there in the inside told me there was a chance with this one....who knows, maybe paint, maybe a trace of a decal?

So, will be in my hands soon and in the Oxalic thereafter and up here with the results after that - so stay tuned!

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A new M42 project - watch this space!   A new M42 project - watch this space!  

A new M42 project - watch this space!   A new M42 project - watch this space!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A new M42 project - watch this space!
    P
    Many

Default Re: A new M42 project - watch this space!

Hope you get the results you are after, Mr. Stein.........

It's got a lot of bubbles and such - looks like they're
    under the remaining paint too - could it be a
    lumpy camo ?

You could be right though Dan, it may turn up
    some surprises.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Will be interested to see what comes of this one Dan, always wanted to buy some lids to clean but just to expensive for my liking. With any luck you will get a good camo or even a decal.

They are getting up there Jason - and I normally stay away as the postage usually kills any bargain you may find - but this was a C note all up and I clicked first and thought later ..........

Cheers, Dan

Well I DID say "watch this space" .......... were you all watching??? .......oh, that's OK, I took my sweet time about it!
    Well, got some colour and a cleaner appearance but no wonderful cammo or decals, just a basic M42 ET ( I think - if like me you can see stamping near the 3 rust bubbles on the inside photo ) and all in all I am happy. MATT spray lacquer gives back the colour but at the expense of a 'little' bit of shine ...... but it will slow down the aging process ( as Neil Young said, Rust never Sleeps )
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A new M42 project - watch this space!   A new M42 project - watch this space!  

A new M42 project - watch this space!  

OH, nearly forgot - here's the weird thing.... that black you can see in the close-up and on the inside of the helmet is Tar or bitumen / pitch - seems like at some time someone may have used this helmet as a bucket to keep tar brushes in ???? ..... stranger things have happened on the field of battle - or in a cut off army's daily routine on the Kurland peninsula ( where this one came from )
    Dan

It's possible that the stamps for maker code, size and lot number
    are stamped on the rear center portion of the rim. I also have
    a relic M42 in similar condition.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Interesting results. A nice relic.

Can't complain about the result there, definately an improvement!