Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

nickle plated m42

Article about: hey guys i have a nickle plated m42 helmet that i got real cheap. I was just wondering if i can get the plating off. Some people told me to sand blast it while others told me to use nitric a

Default Re: nickle plated m42

thank you mate!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement nickle plated m42
    P
    Many

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    Is this forum for discussing REAL German helmets or are those days gone?
    IT is a "real german helmet" just only the shell. I am doing this to try to save an original large sized shell instead of leaving it as a chromed piece of junk

?

It should be here

Restoration & Refurbishing

and you can post a link in this section pointing to your restoration thread in the appropriate section.
    I think that is what IOW is getting at, there are a lot of these questions here when this is about the discussion of period German WW2 helmets.
    Cheers
    Doug

Thread now moved.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thread now moved.

Cheers, Ade.
    thank you

?

if all your going to do is re-paint it the give it a good going over with wet n' dry sandpaper to give the paint a rough surface to adhere to ?

Quote by NickD View Post
    if all your going to do is re-paint it the give it a good going over with wet n' dry sandpaper to give the paint a rough surface to adhere to ?
    ive tried that and it did not even stick

Quote by waffenrock42 View Post
    hey guys i have a nickle plated m42 helmet that i got real cheap. I was just wondering if i can get the plating off. Some people told me to sand blast it while others told me to use nitric acid. I was just wondering if anyone one had some advice
    Why mess with the coating? Just get a can of the proper green paint and spray it. You can always take the paint off if you want to show the fancy side of the helmet. Ron

?

Gees mate...definately no sanding or sandblasting!!
    Find an electroplater near you and drop it into him,he'll chuck it in the bath,reverse the polarity and drop the chrome of it for you!..no scratches from sanding or dents from blasting,but i just hope for you the shell was in good nick when it was plated as ive had a few disappointing times when the chromes come off and you realise the pits and nicks have been filled before it was plated!

?

As suggested reverse plating is probably the safest answer for both you and the helmet, there are now none acid based kits available to use at home that cost about £90.00, these include the stripping salts and electrolysis hardware. As to sanding blasting may or may not work due to the hardness of the chrome, and as for Nitric acid yes this is what a plating shop would use however this stuff is HIGHLY dangerous for many reasons, fumes and its reaction with organic materials, and MUST NOT be handled with cotton gloves or while wearing cotton clothing. Also in some countries the sale of nitric acid to the general public is now restricted due to being a main component in many explosives.

Nige.

P. S. Here's the plate stripping kit

Plate Stripping Kit*(C250) - Frost Auto Restoration Techniques
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2