Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Painted Helmet

Article about: Hey gents............. Afew years back my brother-in-law gave me this helmet. Some yahoo before him took the liberty of painting it black. He did a nice job on the painting , but ruined a pe

Default Painted Helmet

Hey gents.............
    Afew years back my brother-in-law gave me this helmet. Some yahoo before him took the liberty of painting it black. He did a nice job on the painting , but ruined a perfectly good helmet.
    My question is how can I remove this paint without ruining the helmet. Your knowledge and opinions appreciated.

Detlef
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painted Helmet   Painted Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Painted Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Painted Helmet

Hi Detlef, you can use acetone or any commercially available paint stripper.

I strongly suspect this helmet is ex Norwegian Army (going by the colour of paint left in the crown) and will have no WW2 German paint left intact anywhere on it.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. Will try it. Let you know how it turns out.

Detlef

Ade,

Stripped it. There is in fact nothing remaining of the colour. There is a small bit of paint still on one side with what appears to be a decal. The location appears in the wrong place, but you can see a definate outline of what looks like a crest shape. The black area around it is where I still need to clean
    Either way I like it better this way than with black paint.
    By the way could you let me know which model this is - M40?............ Thanks

Detlef
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painted Helmet   Painted Helmet  

Painted Helmet  

The decal you have found is indeed Norwegian

The helmet is an M35. These have a separate air vent bushing. If this is part of the helmet shell itself, it is an M40.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade,

You have been a great help.

Detlef