Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panzer Track Link Before & After

Article about: Looks good bro! I agree, there are certain relics that can be cleaned up and displayed much better.

Default Panzer Track Link Before & After

My friend restores classic Corvettes and was nice enough to blast some of my relics with glass beads. I've tried other methods on them such as white vinegar and acid baths which yielded little or no improvements. I was VERY surprised and pleased with the results!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer Track Link Before & After   Panzer Track Link Before & After  

Panzer Track Link Before & After   Panzer Track Link Before & After  

Panzer Track Link Before & After   Panzer Track Link Before & After  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer Track Link Before & After
    P
    Many

Default Re: Panzer Track Link Before & After

Looks good, nice & clean. The next thing I wiuld do is to thin some black paint ( quite thin ) and paint it all over the piece. Then with a cloth wipe most of it off - the paint stays in the cracks & crevises and gives a nice patina back to the piece. In model making this is called a "wash " - it will also protect ( a bit ) the steel from rusting so quickly again.
    Dan

?

Had my old 1952 Matchless 500cc cylinder head and cylinder glass blasted Glass is good on aluminum because it does not remove as much material as sand.

Regards, Lars

?

Nice track it has come out well , but for me if it is now painted then it's originality as a true relic piece has gone , just my opnion , apart from light cleaning i really don't like to mess with all my relices !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Will agree with Paul, but as for cleaning goes it's a good result.

Regards, Lars

I think they turned out great Gp. It will be nice that they are not shedding on your shelf.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Zentner; 08-25-2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spell
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I don't think I would ever paint the track link. I think that I'm just going to take some time and add a thorough application of Ren Wax. And true, Eric, no more shedding. I love the look of these things!

Sorry,
    Never made myself clear - by painting, I mean "washing" ..... its more like thiiners with paint in it rather than paint thinned out.

Here is a JU88 fuel port I bead blasted clean ( like your parts ) then 'washed' with black to get some patina going...... see what I mean?

Remember these were BRIGHT, CLEAN aluminium before the wash! And I did it because it was a big lump of corrosion that looked terrible!!!

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer Track Link Before & After   Panzer Track Link Before & After  

I hear ya Danmark but I just took 45 min and applied a solid coat of Ren and buffed it for protection. I'm liking the way it came out.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Sorry,
    Never made myself clear - by painting, I mean "washing" ..... its more like thiiners with paint in it rather than paint thinned out.

Here is a JU88 fuel port I bead blasted clean ( like your parts ) then 'washed' with black to get some patina going...... see what I mean?

Remember these were BRIGHT, CLEAN aluminium before the wash! And I did it because it was a big lump of corrosion that looked terrible!!!

Cheers, Dan
    Just to make my point ( and not to criticize others methods ) here is a 'before' photo ...... sometimes you just CANT leave an item in its "as found" condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast