Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Preservation of 'Real' Relics?'

Article about: Hi Folks - I imagine this has been addressed before, but OI couldn't find any posts that answers my question. Which is..., what is the best method for preserving 'real relic' items? I have 9

Default Preservation of 'Real' Relics?'

Hi Folks -

I imagine this has been addressed before, but OI couldn't find any posts that answers my question.

Which is..., what is the best method for preserving 'real relic' items? I have 98 Mauser barrel and action as well as a French M92 Berthier Carbine barrel/action that are really, really relics. I would like to stabilize them and make them palatable for display. Right now they are resting on nails on the garage wall.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks...
    - Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Preservation of 'Real' Relics?'
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Preservation of 'Real' Relics?'

Provided that both of these are for display and not for selling, there are a number of products available that will cure rust and harden weak metal, these can be obtained through either auto motive stores or hardware stores, having preserved the items, you can then apply a matt or satin varnish, this will seal the metal plus give a decent finish

Default Re: Preservation of 'Real' Relics?'

Quote by davejb View Post
    Provided that both of these are for display and not for selling, there are a number of products available that will cure rust and harden weak metal, these can be obtained through either auto motive stores or hardware stores, having preserved the items, you can then apply a matt or satin varnish, this will seal the metal plus give a decent finish
    Thank you Dave. Yes, these are for display only, and that is exactly what I was looking for.