Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Preserving a British RAF oxygen mask

Article about: I've been meaning to make this thread for a long time, but always forgot. I've got this Oxygen mask which I got from a neighbor about 5-6 years ago when I had just started collecting, he had

Default Preserving a British RAF oxygen mask

I've been meaning to make this thread for a long time, but always forgot. I've got this Oxygen mask which I got from a neighbor about 5-6 years ago when I had just started collecting, he had bought it at a depot at a Norwegian airfield after the war when he was serving in the Norwegian Airforce. It was most likely left there by a Norwegian pilot who had served in England/overseas. It is in a pretty good condition, but only one problem: Any kind of contact with daylight or heat causes the rubber and mask to melt a bit(Nothing big, but still something I'd like to prevent). Is there anything I can use to stop this from happening anymore? I'm thinking of using renaissance wax, but I'm not sure if there are better options?

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Preserving a British RAF oxygen mask
    P
    Many

Default Re: Preserving a British RAF oxygen mask

Anyone? I could use some help with this...
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

It's looking pretty shagged tbh Vegar, you could try dusting it in French chalk or talc, that helps, and keep it out of the sun and in a cool ambient temprature like in a lidded box. And try not to handle it to much.....That's all I can think of at the mo'.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

hi, basically there is nothing you can do with rubber to preserve or reverse this deterioration. It is the nature of the chemical process that is involved with its manufacture. It is aggravated by UV exposure though. Don't use any products that have silicone or are intended for use on things like car parts. Best to just gently pad it with acid free tissue to preserve the shape, support the hose as gently as possible and enjoy it while it lasts.

CCI Notes 15/1
    Last edited by asterperious; 06-29-2012 at 03:45 AM. Reason: More info

Thanks for the answers guys. I've already kept it out of sunlight and heat, I'll continue to do so and preserve it for the time it has left.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

british ww2 gas mask.

Older thread mentions power assisted steering fluid to help slow deterioration. Seemed to work good there, anyone else have any opinions on it? Been told Armor All works at first, and then massively speeds deterioration. Mixed reviews on talc. Some say it works, others say it eventually discolors the mask.

?

Id have to agree that once the rubber starts to soften and "melts" and becomes "sticky" to the touch there is very little you can do, people have tried to seal the corroded areas with a hardener but then any kind of movement will break the piping, someone told me that lanoline helps but i'm not too sure, also a product called cockpit shine, used on the dashboards of vehicles which has a rubberised element to it and this helps to stop cracking of the interiors of cars etc, whether any of these work on old rubber like that i have no idea, i would'nt use brake or pas fluid, if it ruins paintwork what else will it ruin!!!

did you consider making it a fixed cased display and spraying the mask and hose with clear coat ?