Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Question on dagger restoration?

Article about: Hello all, I am posting this for a friend. He has a German Army dagger made by Robert Klass. He tried to sell it to me but I passed because of the condition. He asked me for help in figuring

?

Default Question on dagger restoration?

Hello all,

I am posting this for a friend. He has a German Army dagger made by Robert Klass. He tried to sell it to me but I passed because of the condition. He asked me for help in figuring out the best way to restore it or prevent further deterioration of the dagger and sheath. It has been de-nazified (which obviously can not be fixed without making it a parts dagger) and has a lot of rust on both the blade and the sheath. The handle is also cracked. I have been told about "Renwax" but was not sure on anything that could be done to help remove the rust without killing the collectibility of the dagger. Any help or suggestions would be great appreciated, thanks guys!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on dagger restoration?   Question on dagger restoration?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question on dagger restoration?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question on dagger restoration?

Hi,
    This would require extensive work and I am not sure that you could accomplish your objectives without making it a parts dagger.
    I can only suggest a very good cleaning with some form of polish as RenWax will not remove this much rust on it's own.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Ralph,

Would there be a polish you would suggest? Also, IMO, I would leave the dagger as it is as far as parts go, as that is how it has been for years. Would you suggest the same?

?

Try a polish called FLITZ, It works wonders on older blades and is not very abrasive to the metal or original finish. Its at most Lowes or Home Depots and Walmarts.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

AZPhil, would FLITZ work on the scabbard as well, or just the blade?

?

Yes it would !!!!! It works on metal& plastic

Google it!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Will do! I appreciate the advise!

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Try a polish called FLITZ, It works wonders on older blades and is not very abrasive to the metal or original finish. Its at most Lowes or Home Depots and Walmarts.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    I agree with Phil, either Flitz or Autosol will work. If you are using it on plastic be sure to NOT use a power polisher or buffer as the speed will create too much heat.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Appreciate that Ralph, I will let my friend know!

Dramos be careful how much Flitz you apply to the scabbard,, if overly done you may wear away the silvered finish and expose the brass beneath. Perform this process sparingly.
    Renwax is only a protectant and not a cleaner,, and should be applied once a final cleaning or restoration is finished.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill