Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

'Real' helmets repainted with new liners?

Article about: While looking for a new more authentic liner and chinstrap for my old repro M40. I came across several dealers offering what they claim are genuine German WW2 helmets which have been repaint

?

Default 'Real' helmets repainted with new liners?

While looking for a new more authentic liner and chinstrap for my old repro M40. I came across several dealers offering what they claim are genuine German WW2 helmets which have been repainted and fitted with modern liners. This on the face of it is attractive to someone like me who cannot afford an untouched helmet. But on the other hand my natural skepticism leads to me to ask. What is the source of these genuine WW2 German helmets? Are they simply shells left over from the war, never used. What happened to the original liners?

Are they worth buying?

I ask because looking at my reproduction helmet which is a an old high quality copy. I can see that with the addition of a bit of paint, a few appropriate stamps and a bit of work I could easily pass it off as a real shell that's been refurbished. I would be nervous that any so called real refurbished helmet I bought would be no more than a replica.

So where do these shells come from?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Real' helmets repainted with new liners?
    P
    Many

Default Re: 'Real' helmets repainted with new liners?

if you wanna get shure to have the real thing and dont wanna spend to much then buy a good relic and restore it by yourself, its easy and you will find a lot of how to make it on the web

This thread might be more appropriate in the Restoration Forum:

Restoration & Refurbishing

However, to answer your question, there are many reasons for helmets without liners. Some had the liners salvaged for use in a better helmet (by collectors), some have so much corrosion or damage that they are removed. Some veterans removed liners that were blood damaged, and some helmets were worn by bikers with modern foam lining fitted, which was later removed when the helmet is sold/traded.

With a little study, on these forums, you will be able to determine if the helmet shell is actually wartime produced by a German helmet maker.

Bob Hritz

Thread moved to here.

?

Slightly puzzled as to why it's been moved to this forum as my question relates to real helmets not 'toys' as someone rather sourly commented in a now deleted reply. I wasn't thinking of restoring an old helmet merely asking what the source of these helmets would be. Which Bob answered, thank you. I had some idea they were helmet shells that never saw service or something. I now feel like I've created some form of gaffe. Sorry I'm new to this and cannot afford the untouched helmets at the moment. So these seemed a good alternative.

To be honest I'd rather keep a relic helmet as is if I was to get one. Even a biker helmet that has aspects of it's previous service under the newer paint.

My worry is that looking at my repro 'toy'. It wouldn't take much for it to be modified so that it could be sold as a restored 'genuine' helmet.

Noelh, there are Danish, Czech and Hungarian helmets from WWII
    surplus used after the war which are now being used to make repros.

Some helmets have had holes punched into the front for a badge.
    The holes are welded shut and the helmets refinished to look like
    WWII German and fitted with a repro liner.

You would be paying for something that has no real value as a collectible.
    This type of lid is good however for re-enactors who do not want to ruin
    an expensive original.

My advice is to be patient ! Save your money ! A nice complete
    and genuine 'No Decal' would cost about twice the amount
    of one of these refurbs, but be worth it in the end...........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 09-25-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks for the info

Just buy a shell at German Helmets inc. They have stacks of shells waiting to be restored. Or you can buy one already done.

from my early days as a collector i have at least one german helmet with a good liner but fake decals [ss]. i am not going to repaint as i am not skilled enough.if anyone is interested i want to dispose of it.it is not the one in the archives which i sold recently to an experienced appraiser for a low figure.

?

That's interesting. I would like an original helmet. Whatever the condition. But the price must be right.