Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

Article about: by Steve T Can't wait to see the result Datrus ! I have a hard time waiting myself. I will start a restoration of this helmet afterwards.

?

Default Re: Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Can't wait to see the result Datrus !
    I have a hard time waiting myself. I will start a restoration of this helmet afterwards.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic cleaning - White Vinegar
    P
    Many

I have not had that problem, most of the casings were already red because of all the corrosion, and the ones that are in good condition have not turned red either. I might try other method as well to figure out the best way of cleaning them, but so far, this one is the best(For me at least).
    I have not had that problem, most of the casings were already red because of all the corrosion
    I know why---> The soil (depends on PH of the soil) can also turn them red. Vinegar is good I can say the best for steel and iron but I prefer the electrolisis method it is used by museums and it won't destroy the metal alloys. Believe me guys when it comes to cleanin' casings by bathing them in vinegar it is not a good method it will destroy the casing's headstamp codes.

Fascinating stuff, great thread. I am also interested in how you go about the electrolysis method, a demonstration of that method would be terrific also if someone can show us. Cheers fallas, Dave.

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Fascinating stuff, great thread. I am also interested in how you go about the electrolysis method, a demonstration of that method would be terrific also if someone can show us. Cheers fallas, Dave.
    Here is a basic video of how it's done. Quite good video i'd say. I use a car battery charger 12V DC. It is very important to use DC and NOT AC current. AC will not clean the item.

TreasureDigging.Com Electrolysis Cleaning - YouTube

Her is another with a bigger rig, made in Australia

Advanced Electrolytic Cleaning - YouTube

Fantastic Datrus, just had a look at the video, very interesting, thanks for the link mate!

?

Time for a update on the relic helmet cleaning. The helmet spent a little more than 24 hours in the vinegar. There have been done nothing but removing mud and soil to this helmet. Pretty caked in rust a 65+ years under ground. I am quite happy with the first result, but it went back in the vinegar bath. You can actually see a clear line where it ha not been submerged. I also now got to see how many small holes is actually in the helmet. Before cleaning there was only three. Batteries in my cam lost their power, so did not get all the pics i wanted. I will see how long it takes to remove the rest. Just as a data point compared to eltrolysis cleaning. I will give it another 24 hrs.

Before pics

Relic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White Vinegar

After pics

Relic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White Vinegar

OH WOW ! Looking good !

?

Not bad at all This lid was caked in rust.

If you're using the electrolisis method remember that the room needs a good ventilation.The electrolisis process produces dangerous fumes ( health damageing even exposive!)

?

Quote by Kanonier Tokarz View Post
    If you're using the electrolisis method remember that the room needs a good ventilation.The electrolisis process produces dangerous fumes ( health damageing even exposive!)
    Yes i know K T. As far as i remember it is Hydrogen being produced. I do it on the balkony when i do this in Moscow. This is why i look with interest on the vinegar method.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast