Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

Article about: by Steve T Can't wait to see the result Datrus ! I have a hard time waiting myself. I will start a restoration of this helmet afterwards.

Default Re: Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

Geez the helmet has come out well from the first soak in the vinegar, even looks to be back to original colour in parts. Well done.

Wonder what the vinegar would do to a decal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic cleaning - White Vinegar
    P
    Many

?

Quote by VolksJager View Post
    Geez the helmet has come out well from the first soak in the vinegar, even looks to be back to original colour in parts. Well done.

Wonder what the vinegar would do to a decal?
    Thanks VolksJager. Yes the helmet looks to be original color, but it's "optical betrayal". There is absolutely no paint left on this one. I will shoot some better pics tomorrow when i takr it out again. I also wonder what the vinegar would do to a decal???

Datrus

When you've finished soaking the helmet, give it a scrub with a soap filled scouring pad, (wire wool heavy duty scourer).

Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

This will really bring the colour of the metal out Be careful though as it will also remove any remaining paint.

Steve T

?

I will try it out Steve. No risk of removing paint on this lid

Anybody got any tips on how to seal the rounds? I got a tip about weapon oil, but I would like to hear what you have to say about that before I try it.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

You can brush them with hot bee wax. It's a good natural sealer IMO. Heat the wax and brush onto an item.

I'm not quite sure where I can get a hold of that, any other things that might work?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Here is a new update on my helmet cleaning. I did not have time yesterday, so it spent another 24 hrs in the vinegar, making it about 50 hrs straight. In total it has been in the bath for 3 days. Today i also scrubbed it down with a rough steel wool pad. Here is the result. Does anyone know if vinegar can eat steel???

The vinegar have taken a lot of color and rust have gathered on the bottom. The steel on the helmet builds up a thin layer of rust quite fast. It gives it this brown/green look.

Relic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White Vinegar

Here i have applied a thin layer of plant oil and wiped it off. The brown/green color is now gone. Also i have taken some pics with a flash light under the helmet, making the small holes visible.

Relic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White VinegarRelic cleaning - White Vinegar

I think there would be a better result with oxalic acid, but there was still a nice result.
    So does anybody have an answer to my question: Does weapon oil work with sealing your relics? I can't seem find any places that have bees wax, does anybody know of any other things that might work?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

Yes. Rennaissance Wax. It should be easy to buy online. Sounds strange you can't find bees wax in Norway. It's good and cheap.

Oxalic acid or electrolysis would probably work better, but i also did it most for testing this method.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast