MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing liner residue from a stacked nPz helmet?

Article about: Hi all, I recently acquired a mint New Zealand nPz helmet from a local collector. It is in superb condition except for the often encountered black ring left by another helmets liner material

?

Default Removing liner residue from a stacked nPz helmet?

Hi all,

I recently acquired a mint New Zealand nPz helmet from a local collector. It is in superb condition except for the often encountered black ring left by another helmets liner material after having being stacked. Seen on many British Brodie type helmets. My question is, does anyone have an idea what would or could possibly remove this safely without damaging the paint? Cheers in advance, Ian

Removing liner residue from a stacked nPz helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing liner residue from a stacked nPz helmet?
    P
    Many

WD-40 rubbed lightly on it with a clean cloth should work fine I think, and not cause any untoward problems.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

There is a product called "goof-off", I have used that many times to remove, glue, stains ect

Dean O
    Canada

?

Apart from the leather liners seen on some Brodie style helmets most had a fabric which were covered with a type of rubberised compound, over time that compound deteriorates, becomes brittle and cracks, but left in situ, stacked atop other helmets,the compound sticks to anything underneath, one way in which i have removed this residue is to use lighter fluid on a cloth, it dries almost instantly therefore no paint damage, but you need to be careful when trying to remove any type of substance from paint with any product, slowly slowly catchy monkey

?

Hey thanks guys for your input, I guess I'll give all your suggestions a go. The WD-40 might be my first port of call. Will keep you posted.

?

Just my thoughts, I know a lot of people use WD40 for almost anything, I don't use it. If it is used on a weapon, and the weapon is not used for sometime, it forms a corrosive "wax". to remove that gunk, lighter fluid or Goof Off is best, goof off can be bought at most hardwear stores, I use it for many clean ups on different materials...
    Again, Just My thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

MAP
    ?

I like Goof Off but be careful when used on petroleum based materials (including paint). Test it first.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hmmm, this is great....very helpful guys. Have ordered some Goof Off and will now be starting with that instead. I'll go slowly with cotton swabs at first is the plan.

Oh well....Too late now, but check this out.

2000+ WD-40 Uses | Prevent Rust & More

Perhaps goofed up with the Goof Off, but it's of little consequence in the bigger picture of life.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

WD 40 does soften paintwork depending how its used but according to Goof Off specs, this removes paint, as it contains a very strong petroleum base and there have been customer feedbacks stating this, to the point of making paintwork very dull, so i would tread carefully

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast