Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?

Article about: I've just taken receipt of a veteran bringback M40 Heer and it's got this post-war added piece of masking tape with the name of the vet's son written on it. So, it's added post-war and on to

Default Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?

I've just taken receipt of a veteran bringback M40 Heer and it's got this post-war added piece of masking tape with the name of the vet's son written on it. So, it's added post-war and on top of this it's partially obscuring the name of the German soldier that actually wore it (written in faint yellow)... in light of this I would really want to carefully remove this piece of tape, any ideas how I should go about this without damaging the writing underneath/the helmet's paint? Would heating it slightly with a hairdryer and simply carefully peeling it off be a good way?

Here's a photo showing the rear skirt with the piece of masking tape/adhesive label:

Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Removing post-war added piece of tape from helmet?

I would try softening it first with a sponge and warm water, then try peeling it away carefully...I'm sure others have different opinions...
    Glenn

Thanks, I decided to go that route... now I can see initials in black paint underneath but there's still a lot glue residue left. How can I gently remove this glue without damaging the paint/initials?

WD-40.....Light buffing with clean cloth = Job jobbed.

DISCLAIMER:

Big Ned & associates accepts no responsibility for any damage or otherwise caused during this process as it is only an opinion and not a proven fact of a succesful outcome under British law.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

What imbecile would put his name on a piece of tape Over the owners name?? Sheesh...some people's kids...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    What imbecile would put his name on a piece of tape Over the owners name?? Sheesh...some people's kids...
    Yeah, I know.... useless kids!

And thanks for the tip Big Ned... if I end up using that technique I pledge not to keep you liable Will this affect the initials written with paint in a anyway? If not I'll have a look and see if I can't dig up a can of the old WD..

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I can visualise a bunch of kids in the 50's taking their dad's war trophies to school for show & tell and mom putting a label on it so little Billy didn't bring home the wrong helmet ..... what a palava THAT would have been!!! " that's my helmet! ...... no, no, I got that in the Ruhr, its mine!!! "
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Yeah, I know.... useless kids!

And thanks for the tip Big Ned... if I end up using that technique I pledge not to keep you liable Will this affect the initials written with paint in a anyway? If not I'll have a look and see if I can't dig up a can of the old WD..
    All joking aside,
    the only time WD-40 is likely to damage paint is if the paint is already damaged and peeling, and that's primarily because the oil works between the peeling paint and the base metal. As per the company's own website: "WD-40 can be applied to any painted metal surface without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum based product like WD-40."
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Almost done, will post photos soon... turns out it was named twice, plus now I can make out the lot number as well!

Since I've already got a thread going on this helmet and its liabilities I'll just continue on using this one.

There are two other liabilities that I'd want to have corrected; one is that the liner leather has been spun around at some point (definitely looong ago) so that the seam is now at the front... the other is that for some strange reason the metal bands that go around on the outside circumference of the actual liner has been bent over, thus causing the leather liner taking on an angular appearance with 5 straight sides to it rather than following the helmet's natural oval shape.

I just ran out of battery on my camera so I'm not able to post any photos right now but if anyone know what it'd take for me to rectify these issues anyway it'd be greatly appreciated! I know that the three rivets are what's holding the whole liner system in place but I just do not know how to take them out in the gentlest possible way... I don't want the original rivets to break or anything... help..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast