Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.

Article about: Hi Guys, I bought the re-issued Norwegian liner a few days ago. I have decied to remove the red dye from the leather. I would like to show the result. First time I tried the clean spirit, be

?

Default Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.

Hi Guys,

I bought the re-issued Norwegian liner a few days ago. I have decied to remove the red dye from the leather.
    I would like to show the result.
    First time I tried the clean spirit, becuse it's not too storg cemical. But nothing happened and I tried the white spirit. I know these two are very similar, but nothing came off. And I borrowed my wife's nail polish remover.
    That was the best. The red/brown came off so quick. I wiped one part with the remover, and treated immediately with the leather wipes. When I finised the with treatment I put some Renaissance Wax on the leather beceuse it makes the leather soft.
    I think i could take off more paint from the leather, but I've found some writing. I was so surprised when I've seen them.
    I think the first is the name of the soldier, and the other is WW 44 or something.
    The first picture show how it was.

What do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.   Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.  

Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.   Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.  

Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.   Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing the red dye from Norwegian liner.
    P
    Many

Yes you are quite correct that nail polish remover (acetone) will lift the dye from Norwegian liners (which I believe is actually a preservative treatment rather than a means to change the colour which would be pointless in itself when economy was the order of the day).

The result will never be perfect though and as you have seen, the reverse of the leather still remains heavily stained. It is a good way of sympathetically restoring a shell with no liner though!

Thanks for posting.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Great post, very tempted to do the same with my ex Norwegian/German lid. The name is a great find, just need to work out who it is now!

Point to note; Better quality nail polish remover is more effective. Aldi special (other supermarkets are available!) just doesn't cut the mustard

How do I know so much about nail polish remover?

I have been married for a lot of years to a woman who believes that cheap and cheerful is the best value bar none (she is a Jock mind you)

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-14-2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Yes, I know it will never be perfect, but my plan is to place this into my DD M35 helmet.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Great post, very tempted to do the same with my ex Norwegian/German lid. The name is a great find, just need to work out who it is now!
    I try to do some research about the name, but very hard to read it.

Bonjour, félicitations le résultat est vraiment appréciable vous avez fait une très belle restauration je vous félicite

Acetone is a very useful cleaner for those doing a bit of militaria restoration. Quite effective as a paint remover too if wanting to carefully remove a post war over paint on a helmet. Use carefully though.