MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Restored m17 DD SS transitional helmet

Article about: As tittle says..I can't really afford an authentic helmet so I took upon my self to find other means of obtaining one. I decided that my first pc would be a battle worn helmet that once belo

Arrow Restored m17 DD SS transitional helmet

As tittle says..I can't really afford an authentic helmet so I took upon my self to find other means of obtaining one.
    I decided that my first pc would be a battle worn helmet that once belonged to a member of the ss.
    I first wanted an m35 but the price for a shell on ebay was to much,specially size 66 shells.
    So I found this surface rust covered pot for a bit over $100 on fleabay..an m17 ..
    I purchased the paint thru 1944militaria.com (apple green).Restored m17 DD SS transitional helmet
    Restored m17 DD SS transitional helmetRestored m17 DD SS transitional helmet
    080812132702.jpg
    The pins,CS and liner came from a czech seller..I think its czrpg or some like that..don't buy his liners...crap..the CS bales are a plain strip of aluminum..they didn't even try to make the bend...oh well.
    Decals came from decalhelmet.com and they come with a special glue to apply like originals..there's a vid on you tube..search GERMAN HELMET DECAL its like 4min long.
    After spending 8hr sanding the lid,cleaning up minor rust pits I metal finished a couple dents and applied a thick coat of paint in several layers...a few hrs after drying I applied the decals...added a patina to the leather n beat up the paint..all I need is to age the bare steel with browning solution...when I have the cash that is..
    I just wanted to show off my first helmet..hope some of you appreciate my attemp at starting my collection..ill have an authentic pc one day..as matter of fact..a antique gun shop has a fallschirmjages helmet. For $4700..it appears un issued..leather is tan, no cracks or scuffs but its hard and dry..it also has a cloth cover ...ill take pics next time..it looks and feels authentic.Restored m17 DD SS transitional helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restored m17 DD SS transitional helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Restored m17 DD SS transitional helmet

I like it!! You've done a great job!

?

I like it as well. I like to fiddle with old helmets too. I will say you have done a good job on this lid. Thank you for sharing the pics and info

Regards, Lars

@ woodsnake & datrus..thanks comrads!
    Ill be restoring an m35 soon..ill also be making it a how to threat.
    I must say this is a lot of fun,like playing cards blind folded.
    By the way..1944 militarias paint doesn't like heat,so avoid baking in oven,just makes it sticky. On the other hand,decalhelmet produces fine examples...I highly recomend both of these small company's...the decals stick,and I mean stick..there tought to come off..as you can see I coudnt chip with out taking paint off as well.

You could try " Gun Blue " to age the bare metal, i've used it to restore the finish on firearms and its fantastic stuff and easy to use.

Phill

I was thinking of using both gun blue and browning solution...do you have any pics of the gun blue..there's a chemical out there that turns it black..would that be it?

[QUOTE=greenavenger;646832]I was thinking of using both gun blue and browning solution...do you have any pics of the gun blue..there's a chemical out there that turns it black..would that be it?[/QU Sorry i don't have any pics ...and yes that would be it, you should be able to get it at your local Gun shop.