Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Restored M42..SS

Article about: About the texture paint effect you mentioned, i have purchased my paint and a sachet of texture, from this website: German WW2 Helmet Paint RAL6006 & RAL7009 and Restorer When you buy th

Default Re: Restored M42..SS

About the texture paint effect you mentioned, i have purchased my paint and a sachet of texture, from this website:
    German WW2 Helmet Paint RAL6006 & RAL7009 and Restorer
    When you buy the set he also gives you a document with instructions of how to strip and repaint your helmet. I haven't done mine yet but hopefully i will.
    What did you use to remove the original paint of the helmet?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restored M42..SS
    P
    Many

?

Thanks for that.

I just used spray on paint stripper, took a few goes, then sanded what was left off

I don't know where to get such spray. Do you know if a thinner will do the job?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

what did you do to age the liner,,,looks good,,,,

?

Try acetone or ordinary paint stripper to remove paint, try to get hold of some aluminium oxide, its the stuff they use in abrasives, basically the grit, dont use sandpaper grit its different, mix this with the paint and brush on and you have a textured helmet, there are various ways to age the liner ,will describe if you pm me

very nice helmet , i wouldnt say no to that as a gap filler , i like the way you have aged the liner i would imagine they looked just like this when the came off the production line all those years ago , i have aged a repo leather chinstrap by roughing it up a bit on some concrete paving then immersing it in a part soil /water mixture

?

One of the best ways that ive found to age a chinstrap is to constantly roll it around in your hands, this will supple the leather as well as remove the outer coating of black polish and leave a dull finish, it also produces small stress cracks along its length. The natural oils in your skin will give it that worn sheen look, personally i would never immerse leather in any type of water, as it can shrink when drying out and become hard

?

I did all sorts to that liner, salt water to simulate sweat, metho, burning areas with a lighter, used a grater to give it a few scuff marks, dubbin boot polish....I just went nuts on it, left it out in the Aussie sun on a 40 degree c day, then left it out in the rain for three days, let my dogs play with it and let it dry out....

As a restoration it looks very nice.

We restore vehicles, so why not lids too ? ! - Some guys on the Forum may frown
    on such activity, but you have given an old shell a new life.............!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Yeh I know this can be frowned upon, but it was a seriously mucked with shell, with a post war liner, polish I believe and had been striiped ad repainted. So I really have just restored a " blank canvas" of a shell to it German roots!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast