Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Restored MG34 Trommel Magazine

Article about: Hello folks. Nothing major to report here. Just the results of a little mini-project I've been working on for the last couple of days. A while back, I posted my Yugo M53 and the various acce

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    My guess would be that they are early-war produced drums. I'd imagine they switched from bluing to painting midwar, perhaps with the introduction of the MG42, as the latter would have been much less time and resource intensive. The code pertains to the manufacturer 'Lohmann-Werke, A.G., Bielefeld'. It is a shame that there is no date code to be seen. No WaffenAmt markings either, which I find strange.

B.B.
    Not going to be too early with that code BB, going to be circa 1941 onwards.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 12-17-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restored MG34 Trommel Magazine
    P
    Many

?

Caustic Soda is very good, I have a stripping tank in the garage for just this kind of thing, which can take anything up to the size of an engine block. Sodium Hydroxide to give it its proper name works very well on all oil based paints, and should not effect Hot Blued steel at all as its one of the components in the process anyway. Not for a project such as this but I do have a Oxalic acid tank of the same size for rust removal, a combination of the two process, plus a little bit of shot blasting works for most projects :-).

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Caustic Soda is very good, I have a stripping tank in the garage for just this kind of thing, which can take anything up to the size of an engine block. Sodium Hydroxide to give it its proper name works very well on all oil based paints, and should not effect Hot Blued steel at all as its one of the components in the process anyway. Not for a project such as this but I do have a Oxalic acid tank of the same size for rust removal, a combination of the two process, plus a little bit of shot blasting works for most projects :-).

Nige
    I'll use a more intensive method like that if I ever acquire another Yugo-painted German drum, or something larger. Restoring this one was a long and arduous process, and I wouldn't hurry to do it again. Would love to find and restore a painted two-drum carrier. The postwar painted ones seem to sell for less than half the price of an original, and can be restored to their original configuration with relative ease.

Regards, B.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2