Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Restoring artillery shells ~

Article about: I have picked up several WWII shells in quite good condition as the area is extremely dry ~ ( WWII Australian training artillery range circa 1942- 1945 ) I have had a quick browse through th

Update on my Shell restorations ~

The Molasses gives a STUNNING result ~

The shell collection to date ~ stage two.. more to follow with brass polishing to be completed ~

ALL deemed safe by authorized local ~

Two Pounder case plus “Squash head” anti –tank round –Solid shot – Plus AP solid shot two pounder / 40 mm

HE shell case ( rare find. Intact and disarmed = 25 lber

Smoke round 4.5”

Unusual impacted flattened body ~ Smoke shell ~ 4.5”

2 * Smoke shells 25 lber

Base plate from 25 lber case = inscribed with specifications

All but 2 lbers immersed in Molasses for < 2- 3 weeks> . (Still ~ well~ never going to catch up on Bill’s collection !)

Merete, better half Luvs them ~ She reckons they are the BIG WOWW Factor ~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring   artillery shells ~
    P
    Many

?

Looks great.... Gwar

Cheers Gwar

The photo does not do justice. They generally look like they JUST came out to the Box !! Ammazing.. but when the Molasses does eventually go off ~ OMG !! Stench ~

Never mind the Lawn LOVES the stuff ~ LOL

Truly Amazing results!!! Please give me your Molasses Formula. I find shells now and then and haven't found anything I like to clean them with. What do you do for brass casings to clean them up?

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Hey Hey Guns/ John

The Molasses is 9 parts water : 1 Molasses ~

Can be a <7:1 > for heavy duty action .

( And is totally environmentally friendly and you can eat the stuff... before treating the metal of course ! )

Two to three weeks ~

Best to pull the items out now and then ~ wash off with the garden hose ~ gives the lawn a free feed too ~ and a lite scrub with a brush helps ~

As stated the photos still don't do justice ~

If it was not for the fact that each has lain in the dirt or ( the best of, on rocky ground) for 7o years ~ the lower faces are a slightly to moderately picked ~ they would be flawless~ Otherwise it is as if they just lifted out of the shell box !

And yes the same deal for brass ~

I am actually experimenting with copper pennies ! Results are loking very promising ` But being copper best to closely monitor ~

( Otherwise simply Google ~ cleaning metal and brass in Molasses ~ )

OH BTW the way ~ I forgot the "Ash tray" 4.5" base HE round with inscriptions on base !

HTH

Stuart SS

( SS by the way is simply my initials ~ all three 'S's ~ no other reason ! And been asked about the ATP Sweep ~ it is merely a reference to my Garrett All Terrain 'Pro' and MD sweep!)

?

Ah that's what the ATP sweep is for...

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Thanks for the input Blokes..

I actually pulled the 4.5" out of the 'vat' this afternoon after returning form an an amazing recce this morning... and the result is &*^*^ amazing after some ten days ~

I will to some pictures in the next few days `

(I have some four 'vats' running at present ~ either steel as in shell cases or brass ~ )
    I've used molasses and water in a 50/50 mix, with good results on steel and iron. Sounds like I might be using too much molasses. I didn't know it worked on brass, though. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Willie.

Just plain old run of the mill Molasses....I have to admit, I'm stunned by the results! I just went through Hell cleaning up a corroded little Spanish automatic....and here, all I had to do is soak it in molasses and water...This one definitely goes into the "Save File"... Thanks for the info!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Just plain old run of the mill Molasses..

Just plain old run of the mill Molasses..Stunning eh !

Thanks Stuart!!!
    Something so simple that works.
    Have a good day,

John

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Hey Hey Guns/ John

The Molasses is 9 parts water : 1 Molasses ~

Can be a <7:1 > for heavy duty action .

( And is totally environmentally friendly and you can eat the stuff... before treating the metal of course ! )

Two to three weeks ~

Best to pull the items out now and then ~ wash off with the garden hose ~ gives the lawn a free feed too ~ and a lite scrub with a brush helps ~

As stated the photos still don't do justice ~

If it was not for the fact that each has lain in the dirt or ( the best of, on rocky ground) for 7o years ~ the lower faces are a slightly to moderately picked ~ they would be flawless~ Otherwise it is as if they just lifted out of the shell box !

And yes the same deal for brass ~

I am actually experimenting with copper pennies ! Results are loking very promising ` But being copper best to closely monitor ~

( Otherwise simply Google ~ cleaning metal and brass in Molasses ~ )

OH BTW the way ~ I forgot the "Ash tray" 4.5" base HE round with inscriptions on base !

HTH

Stuart SS

( SS by the way is simply my initials ~ all three 'S's ~ no other reason ! And been asked about the ATP Sweep ~ it is merely a reference to my Garrett All Terrain 'Pro' and MD sweep!)
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast