Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Restoring a M35

Article about: Thanks mate I have not been totally gone, but not much time for sitting and sending helmets at night. Things start to be relatively normal now. all the best, Lars

?

Default Re: Restoring a M35

Thank you guys.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring a M35
    P
    Many

?

Update

Here is the result after the first rough sanding. Next step is to fill the remaining small dents and the edge of the skirt. Then a fine sanding. I hope this can be a help to people who is thinking about taking on a similar project.

If i had a slower reacting filler i would have been able to fill all the dents the first time.

Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35

Looking good Mate Are you using a two part filler? Why is the working time so short?

Regards Phill

?

It's one i have left from working with cars. The brand is called Motip. I guess company policy was "not spending too much time watching filler dry". It's also much easier working on cars than helmets i have found out. A banged up Alfa Romeo from 1957 is a walk in the park compared to this, but helmets is much more fun and relaxing.

Yes mate. It's a two component filler. Sticks really well to the metal. It is hard and heavy. "She said last night"

?

The third time i go over the surface with filler/putty. Also i have begun rebuilding the edge of the skirt.

Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35

Looking good Mate, keep us posted

Phill

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Looking good Mate, keep us posted

Phill
    this helmet was done by Jim Jaques.he lives up the road from me great guy getting a camo ss done by him i hope soon. Restoring a M35Restoring a M35Restoring a M35

Try using less hardener in the filler, you'll increase your working time.

?

Thanks for the advice. Tried that on the last filling job. Did not help that much, so i guess i even have to use less than that. The mixing ratio is 2,5%.

2.5% sounds like too much, usually you just want enough hardener to slightly change the color of the putty. I hate it when the stuff goes off before you've even finished mixing it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast