Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Article about: Hello! Pics of a Japanese WW2 helmet that I just purchased from a friend in China who I have been getting a lot of rare Japanese hand grendades, and other items from. I am sorry if I should

Default Re: Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Hi steve,
    That is one very nice helmet, I envy you having that as i would like a Japanese helmet for my collection, but you will have to neutralize that rust !. I have a german helmet in my collection that was ground dug, it dropped rust for ages. And drove me crazy, I had to neutralize it in the end. It doesnt matter what kind of helmet you put on the forum they are all very interesting to us
    collectors. best of luck with the rest of the items you have to come, and please show us the pics.
    dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Do you mean window pane, or micrdot? I am dating my self a bit, but it shows my age on member info anyway. Steve
    Yup little older than me!!!LMAO

So what about a coating of wax. It would at least preserve it as is.
    I used some on a rusty 1917 stalhelm to preserve it. Works good!

Default Re: UPDATE: Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Here is the helmet after I have done a little repair and careful cleaning of rust off the helmet. The inside top crown area I did put a coat of Ospho rust neutralizer to slow things down a bit. I did not want to do the outside as it will change to color to dark.

The liner was repaired by using Barge leather cement to attach the 2 of the 3 liner leather "flaps" that were unattached, back onto the liner "band" I used paperclip wire bent with some tension to hold the liner in place through 2 of the three loops where the 3 rings are/were. I glued a piece of leather to the backside of the band to reinforce one very weak spot. On one spot of the liner "band" I used some of the barge leather cement to hold liner to the helmet secure. I did not want to get to carried away with this liner, it is fairly stiff and could break in spots so.....did the best I could. It looks OK to me, except the silver paperclip.

I might get some rusty wire or paint the wire brown so it does not stand out, this is only temporary. I might just use the leather cement and glue the whole thing in place, and be done with it.

I like the helmet very much, it has a lot of character with the liner and tropical cover bits still attached. A very odd ground recovered helmet.
    I also made a helmet stand for it, and also few more stands while at it for my other helmets. They work well.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

?

Steve,

I would not touch it anymore in order to avoid damaging those pieces of camo cover, they look fantastic!! If the helmet had no camo cover you could have use a product called Rust Aid (home depot) is based in oxalic acid just spray let it work for a few mins and rinse...results are amazing!

Quote by Luis22 View Post
    Steve,

I would not touch it anymore in order to avoid damaging those pieces of camo cover, they look fantastic!! If the helmet had no camo cover you could have use a product called Rust Aid (home depot) is based in oxalic acid just spray let it work for a few mins and rinse...results are amazing!

Hi Luis, great, thanks for the tip on the rust aid product at home depot. I have another project I will try it on. It will not harm paint?

If you look at the beginning of this thread, you will see the helmet before it was accidentally shipped, along with 2 top covers for Japanese T93 land mines, to some lady in Australia.

As you can see the helmet lost a little of the fragile remains of the cover along the way from China, to Australia, and then here to Florida. I am happy it even showed up A well traveled helmet.

The tropical cloth cover bits are a nice feature of the helmet, as is the liner. Very odd for a ground recovered helmet. I was very careful when picking and cleaning rust bits, to not disturb the cover remains. I am done with it at this point....Unless it starts to fall apart, which it won't in my lifetime.

Regards, Steve

hello steve. I reccomend the same as jan. and after that i would recommend putting the helmet in an display case. My grandfather on my moms side fought with the 2nd marine division in tinian, saipan, and okinawa. he picked up one of these but in much better condition and it is now in a display case. he also brought home an officers sword, an arisaka rifle and nambu pistol and a japanese flag with signitures of all his buddies....some never made it home. Im glad you posted this here.

Best Regards, Justin

?

T o make sure that the cloth cover pieces stay in place ,use a product called plasticote. Its a sealer which comes in matt,satin or gloss. Its ideal for sealing helmets with and there is no ill affects on metal or any other surface.but you need to spray it on let it dry slightly then dab over the helmet with a no fluff cloth

Quote by waffenrock42 View Post
    hello steve. I reccomend the same as jan. and after that i would recommend putting the helmet in an display case. My grandfather on my moms side fought with the 2nd marine division in tinian, saipan, and okinawa. he picked up one of these but in much better condition and it is now in a display case. he also brought home an officers sword, an arisaka rifle and nambu pistol and a japanese flag with signitures of all his buddies....some never made it home. Im glad you posted this here.

Best Regards, Justin
    Hi Justin, thanks for the story, interesting.
    Yes, the helmet is in a diplay case now......................my office-war room in my home here in Florida. It seems to like the tropical weather here It's in a nice stable A/C environment.

Regards, Steve

Quote by davejb View Post
    T o make sure that the cloth cover pieces stay in place ,use a product called plasticote. Its a sealer which comes in matt,satin or gloss. Its ideal for sealing helmets with and there is no ill affects on metal or any other surface.but you need to spray it on let it dry slightly then dab over the helmet with a no fluff cloth
    Hi Dave, Thanks. I saw this plastikote stuff. I was thinking of it, the satin or matt, but the helmet is fairly stable now. I am just going to leave this one alone for now. I'll keep an eye on it.

Regards, Steve

?

I noticed you mentioned phosphoric acid, I've used this in the past and is a very good de-rusting agent, especially when boiled prior to use. This has been used for many years in the cleaning of firearms before refinishing, and also as a rust remover gel in the marine applications in such products as "Navy Jelly" or in a liquid form Klean Strip rust remover and POR 15 Metal Ready. As to oxalic acid I've never tried this myself, as I've ether used Sulphuric or hydrochloric acid, but mainly Caustic soda but my favourite method of rust removal remains sand blasting, as this not only removes lose rust but will all fetch out all the powdery Black iron oxide that remains in the surface which can appear to be sound metal, when in fact its not.

Nige.

P.S. BTW remember oxalic acid can be fatal if ingested, which is the reason why rhubarb leaves are poisonous.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast