MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Article about: Hello! Pics of a Japanese WW2 helmet that I just purchased from a friend in China who I have been getting a lot of rare Japanese hand grendades, and other items from. I am sorry if I should

Default Re: Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??

Quote by Nige H View Post
    I noticed you mentioned phosphoric acid, I've used this in the past and is a very good de-rusting agent, especially when boiled prior to use. This has been used for many years in the cleaning of firearms before refinishing, and also as a rust remover gel in the marine applications in such products as "Navy Jelly" or in a liquid form Klean Strip rust remover and POR 15 Metal Ready. As to oxalic acid I've never tried this myself, as I've ether used Sulphuric or hydrochloric acid, but mainly Caustic soda but my favourite method of rust removal remains sand blasting, as this not only removes lose rust but will all fetch out all the powdery Black iron oxide that remains in the surface which can appear to be sound metal, when in fact its not.

Nige.

P.S. BTW remember oxalic acid can be fatal if ingested, which is the reason why rhubarb leaves are poisonous.
    Hi Nige, thanks for tip on the rhubarb leaves, never knew this.

I have used all the products you mention. Here is some pics of the stuff I use. I used it also some years back when restoring my '78 Camaro's body. It turns iron oxide into iron phosphate, a hard black inert surface is left, and I think it looks fairly good on some relic items. I also like the way it ends the shedding of rust all over the place. Some may disagree with touching these items but.......I do just a selected few items. The Japanese helmet at begining of thread is Not a candidate for this product.

I also have used the oxalic acid. It works well for rust removal when you heat the oxalic acid liquid to about 125 degrees F. You must be very careful not breath fumes, use outside and wear gloves, it is a dangerous acid, and can be absorbed through the skin.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??   Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rusty Japanese Helmet / Help!!/ How to preserve??
    P
    Many

?

I don't see anything wrong with stabilising rusted steel, even if you don't intend to do anything else with it, a friend mine who runs a local museum has some ground dug firearms parts on show in one of the display cabinets, I have offered to stabilise these items as basically year by year there still rusting away at about the same rate as they were in the ground, you tell this is happening by the sheer number of pieces of rust that fall away from the objects over a twelve month period.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by Nige H View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with stabilising rusted steel, even if you don't intend to do anything else with it, a friend mine who runs a local museum has some ground dug firearms parts on show in one of the display cabinets, I have offered to stabilise these items as basically year by year there still rusting away at about the same rate as they were in the ground, you tell this is happening by the sheer number of pieces of rust that fall away from the objects over a twelve month period.

Nige.

Hi Nige, I agree, you are correct....."Stabilization"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3