Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sewing in shoulder boards on a Feldbluse?

Article about: Hi guys, I'm restoring this Feldbluse and it had sew in shoulder boards at one point, so I'm trying to add some that I bought, but I can't get the top fabric to stay in place over the top of

?

Default Sewing in shoulder boards on a Feldbluse?

Hi guys, I'm restoring this Feldbluse and it had sew in shoulder boards at one point, so I'm trying to add some that I bought, but I can't get the top fabric to stay in place over the top of the end of the shoulder boards. I sew it all the way through, (top layer > shoulder board > bottom fabric) but the top layer of fabric always pulls back revealing the ends of the shoulder boards, and it looks terrible, despite me pulling the ends nice and taut. Has anyone sewn these in before?

Loose

How I would like them to look

How they end up looking

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sewing in shoulder boards on a Feldbluse?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Sewing in shoulder boards on a Feldbluse?

Maybe a cleaners can do it for a good price?

?

Have never done it, but i would say it is better to pay a professional to get the job done, than to stress these old clothes to much. They are 70+ years old.

?

Hmm, I just would worry that I'd get a lot of negative attention from a cleaners in my neighborhood...

Tell them it's for a private museum display. And Always remember to act appalled by the icky icky old Nazi stuff.....you should be fine. And remind them that it's worth aLot of money...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by doomtown View Post
    Hmm, I just would worry that I'd get a lot of negative attention from a cleaners in my neighborhood...
    I got guys on the Island who could do it!

?

.... Ah, I'm so particular about who handles my stuff... I appreciate the suggestions of taking it to the cleaners, but I am very wary of other people handling my Feldblusen... Thanks guys.

My Mum could do it, she has done them in the past for folks. She is very handy with needle and thread or sewing machine and has even restored a Heer Infantry Standard.

But your technique is wrong. You need to sew it in differently. They are not applied with just one stitch going through the tunic, shoulder board and tunic. I think I know how it was done, but let me ask Mum.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Wow, that would be awesome Ade, thank you! I'm thinking about it and if I fix the insignia on this one, perhaps I should also have the insignia on my summer weight Krim jacket restored and do it all at once? I wouldn't want to send so much work(a Krimshield, and a breast eagle on one of them, and some collar tabs, a breast eagle, and shoulder boards on this Feldbluse) to someone unless they felt compensated though!

?

Phew! So, I had another look at how to do this, and I was making it way more complicated than necessary. I just stuck the boards into the shoulder seam, and sewed tightly at both edges of the board and they stay in place rather nicely. So much simpler than I thought! Thanks for all the replies guys.