Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Storing a flag

Article about: Hello everyone, I am a newbie here but have been interested in militaria for a long time and finally have time to sit down and write. I have a large German flag, 300x500, that is way too big

Default Storing a flag

Hello everyone, I am a newbie here but have been interested in militaria for a long time and finally have time to sit down and write. I have a large German flag, 300x500, that is way too big to display. What is a proper way to store such an item like this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Storing a flag
    P
    Many

Default Re: Storing a flag

hi mate welcome, i would have it rolled up and in an acid free storage tube! like used in the archives with paintings etc would love to see that flag also!

regards,Ewan

?

Yes as Ewan says, its best to not let the natural sunlight and dust get to it, es[pecially if its in nice condition, ideally it would be nice to display in a dust proof glass or plexiglass container away from direct sunlight, but obviously the size dictates how you can show it, are there any markings on it

?

hello! i am a new member as well and have a vast collection of german ww2 militaria. i have a D.A.F. flag , its rare it has the swastika inside a cog-wheel an has silver tassels around it. its about five by five feet. the way ive stored it for several years folded in an airtight bag with those little bags of moisture crystals they pack with clothing. i used to store with mothballs but they stink too bad! well good luck, friend! ~Dean

How you know if a storage box or a tube is acid free.
    Do shadow boxes have acid?

The best method - flag rolled and not folded. I have rolled my flags and put them into tote storage out of sunlight. You don't have to use a tube but they are handy. Folks that deal in sports memorabilia like cards and posters may have something appropriate. Adding a desiccant is a good idea. If you want to display it it might be good to consult a professional group to mount it - but it will cost a lot.

WOW, you guys are great! That was quick. This flag is really bright colored, has a couple really small holes, but otherwise I think its good. It has the rope and all. Ewan, as soon as I can get a place big enough for a picture, I will send you one. Davejb, it does have RKFI GI.73 300x500 on the edge. It also has a manufacturers tag on it but I don't have that info right here. Thank you all for your advice, I will feel better knowing that it will be stored properly. Happy collecting to all!