Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stripping the paint off a M1 helmet

Article about: hello, i saw this helmet that was on ebay and took a look. it seams fine accept it has been repainted. you can see the old cork. i have never stripped paint off of a helmet before so i thoug

Default Stripping the paint off a M1 helmet

hello, i saw this helmet that was on ebay and took a look. it seams fine accept it has been repainted. you can see the old cork. i have never stripped paint off of a helmet before so i thought i would ask you guys. what do u think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stripping the paint off a M1 helmet   Stripping the paint off a M1 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stripping the paint off a M1 helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: stripping paint off of m1 helmet

Leave this and look for a better one - stripping paint is always messy and disappointing. Even if it is cheap as chips it will be ruined as far as originality goes and you WILL lose the cork in the process.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Re: Stripping the paint off a M1 helmet

Anything to do with restorations, I have, and will always
    move to the 'Restoration & Refurbishing' section
    of the Forum.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Try using some auto paint thinner on a soft cloth, rubbing a small area to see if that will lift some of the paint. I don't think you have anything to loose here. I have had similar success with old ammo tins.

Oz

?

If you have an aquarium or similar, try and hang the helmet inside it together with a few bowls of thinner/acetone and seal it up. The fumes will work on the paint and you might be able to rub a good part of the paint off. Don't forget the fumes will work on everything else on the helmet as well.

Cheers and good luck with the cleaning

Lars

A product I like is called krud kutter graffiti remover. It s is sold at walmart in a spray bottle (it has natural ingredients and is not overly aggressive). It seems to take off aresol based finishes which is what was probably applied on your helmet by previous owner, and it does not greatly affect factory original paint so you can work between layers. I d be careful while using any chemical remover so try testing it on a small spot first that may not be seen (underside). It depends on what was original finish from factory? if lacquer it will come off with any strong solvent even acetone if oil or enamel base while it may be beat or scratched up it should hold out better against solvents. I liked the fish tank idea I may try that someday myself good tip. Either way best of luck with your helmet. Regards.