Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tricks to restoring shape to aThird Reich peaked cap?

Article about: Got an artillery hat that was probably stored somewhat improperly for decades, it's pooched out at the chinstrap buttons and sagging a little bit a the top. Instead of having a nice eggshape

Default Tricks to restoring shape to aThird Reich peaked cap?

Got an artillery hat that was probably stored somewhat improperly for decades, it's pooched out at the chinstrap buttons and sagging a little bit a the top. Instead of having a nice eggshape from front to back, it's more egg shaped from side to side. I'm not seeing anything on the web for something you can stick in a hat to restore or keep shape like a shoe stretcher?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tricks to restoring shape to aThird Reich peaked cap?
    P
    Many

This doesn't appear to be a "Sattelform" with the pronounced crown...it appears to be the earlier Wehrmacht Visor if I'm judging the photo correctly...In that case, it's just as it should be -before taking age, storage, and the realities of life for a used visor into consideration, lol...I usually put them on display with a soft-towel inside to maintain the desired form without stressing the material...
    cheers, Glenn

MAP
    ?

Agree Glenn. Looks like a teleform style to me.

But do you have top down shots of the underside? I have a visor or two that are also oblong (side to side) from poor storage. I take a piece of open cell foam (i.e. 2 inch thick seat foam, etc) and cover with an old cotton shirt. I cut it in a round shape to just fit with the slightest pressure to put it back to its original shape. You can also buy a hat shaper or some glass mannequin heads but I prefer the foam because you can cut it to fit the hat perfectly. Also is very inexpensive.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, it is the older, slightly more boring shape, dated 1939 inside. It's a contract cap, but actually fairly decent quality, real soft leather sweatband. I'll get some decent pics up tomorrow. The hat doesn't need a lot of help, just a little bit. A head shape would be best for it, but I don't leave things out for display so that takes too much room.

I've got a plastic bag bunched up front jacking it up a little for now. I tried other things, paper, bubble wrap, but they were pushing in the top to that wouldn't work. When you stick something in the hat from front to back, a shoe brush with a bubble wrap spacer in the front to eliminate that sagging in the middle, it really perks the hat up.

MAP
    ?

Is this what you are looking for?

Village Hat Shop Hat Jack Stretcher - Small Featured Accessories

Some people love these, but as said, I like the foam (covered in cotton) to reshape the sweatband portion. If I need to prop up the cap (I have one with a broken stiffener - the cardboard part that creates the peak) I just add some old cotton cloth or bags.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, something like that might just do the trick!

MAP
    ?

Just be careful to buy the right size. I bought one and it was too small.

Definitely on the right track, found some awesome period appropriate ones on the Bay, thx MAP ;-)

Check this one out, I think you could restretch helmets with this one!

Domke ULM Hat Stretcher Blocker Millinery Elec Steampunk Industrial | eBay

I'll see if I can find one that's just right for this hat. I can't stand that graduation cap look to the upright part, otherwise it's a pretty nice lid! ;-)

MAP
    ?

Is the stiffened behind the eagle broken? If so, nothing you can really do as far as I know except stuffing it with some bags or jury rigging a popsicle stick, but these style hats never had a high peak anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast