MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U- Boat Binocular Restoration

Article about: U-Boat Zeiss 7x50 BLC Fixed Focus Binoculars in poor state of repair. Can't be having that... so a restoration has begun. With no rubber caps top or bottom, and with fungus spores and foggy

Default U- Boat Binocular Restoration

U-Boat Zeiss 7x50 BLC Fixed Focus Binoculars in a very poor state of repair.

Because I love these binoculars, they needed a helping hand so a restoration has begun.

With no rubber caps top or bottom, and with fungus spores and foggy lenses, these binoculars need help.

Also, they have become very stiff with dirt or ageing lubricant.

So, a full clean up is needed with new rubber parts to be added.

These weigh in at around 1.8 kg, quite heavy.

In good clean condition, these go for any thing between £600 to £1200, depending on condition.

Fungus spores have been found, third picture, the large white spec.

These must be burnt out in a oven, because they will regrow again, it's very hard to remove once they have taken root

Pictures of the strip down of parts that need cleaning/servicing.

Also, the lenses are "Foggy" or "Cloudy" and need treatment...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U- Boat Binocular Restoration   U- Boat Binocular Restoration  

U- Boat Binocular Restoration   U- Boat Binocular Restoration  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U- Boat Binocular Restoration
    P
    Many

All parts are now cleaned and fully serviced and put back together again.

New Rubber parts acquired and added to the glasses.

The top of the glasses require six Rubber pieces alone, three pieces to each side.

Before and after...

See how they look with (bottom) and without (top) their Rubbers..

U-Boat blc 7x50 now back in business
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U- Boat Binocular Restoration   U- Boat Binocular Restoration  

U- Boat Binocular Restoration  
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 10-01-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Most of the original protective rubbers are either split or falling apart with age etc.. and that's if they still have them on..

Occasionally, one rubber might turn up, but I've never ever, seen a complete original set come up for sale.

So, adding new replacements, stops them from being bashed about or dropped, with out doing any damage to the lenses.

Some people don't want any work done to them as they lose the "original" tag.. (?)

A bit silly really, as this pair is absolutely useless as binoculars in this state.

But, with the sea salt and damp getting into the insides, the fungus spores will grow and destroy these highly regarded binoculars.

Also the lubricants inside, dry up, and this leads to even more problems
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 10-22-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Once the fungus is settled and taken root, it is job and a half to kill the spores, you have to burn them out

I would rather have a clean and working original U-Boat blc Binocular, rather than a untouched non working useless piece of metal

Binoculars are meant to be used and I use mine, looking for U-Boats on the Mersey

I often take one pair out with me, to have a lovely view of the Mersey, and the clean optics are now in superb condition.

I had three pair of these binoculars, and sadly this pair was a recent sale, to a avid bird watcher (??) don't ask..

I have two more now, a very rare prototype, that was even in worse condition than the pair shown.

Plus a rare fully Red tinted lense type.

Wow, great job. Well done.

?

Great post! Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Any change someone could PM with source of reproduction rubber parts for these BLC 7x50 binoculars? Need a couple pieces for mine. Many thanks.

For those who need the rubber parts for your BLC 7X50 Binos?

REPRO Rubber Armour + Benutzer Zeiss 7x50 U-Boat U-Boot Binoculars Fernglas. | eBay

?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    For those who need the rubber parts for your BLC 7X50 Binos?

REPRO Rubber Armour + Benutzer Zeiss 7x50 U-Boat U-Boot Binoculars Fernglas. | eBay
    Thanks for the follow up regarding these reproduction rubber armour parts. I have tried to get in contact with the ebay seller, but haven`t gotten any answers as of yet. The auction was two years ago so Im guessing he is out of stock...? Please let me know if you hear of another source. Jon

Just keep trying Jon, he makes them to order.

He does disappear every now and then..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast