Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.

Article about: I've finally completed the cleaning and restoration of the boot. Some of you may have seen this posted on the Evesham dig thread a couple of weeks ago. Now I know its only an old boot but it

Default US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.

I've finally completed the cleaning and restoration of the boot. Some of you may have seen this posted on the Evesham dig thread a couple of weeks ago. Now I know its only an old boot but it's still a part of the history of the site and the variety of finds off the tip so I thought it'lll make an interesting display piece to go with my other finds.
    Following the clean up I found that the boot had reinforcing studs on each side and also two at the top of the back stay, the leather is also flesh side out and it would have originally had a cotton lace. This means the boot is identified as Service Shoe Type III which was adopted in Feb 1943 but by June 1943 the next design was introduced which omitted the toe cap and used nylon laces.

Photo's were taken of each stage so I'll let these tell the story with only brief notes. I have used the methods shown before with no signs of any deterioration in the leather of former restorations.

1) The boot sees the light of day for the first time in around 66 years.
    2) Liberated from the mud.
    3) 4) & 5) The boot in as found condition.
    The leather was saturated with water and still a little supple from its long burial, so the first stage was to gently wash it in water this removed the mud and grime. As is normal with long periods of burial leather survives very well but the threads from the stitches that hold the pieces together have usually perished.
    6) I found that most of the boot was held together just by the mud and the shape of each leather piece. After the wash this is how it looked.(All is not lost I hope)
    7) Now onto the restoration / preservation, as the leather was still slightly supple and to get a pleasing realistic shape to the boot the pieces were packed out with carrier bags.
    8) It was then reassembled but each piece was still loose, it was given a slight coat of baby oil just to feed the surface.
    9) & 10) The boot was then tightly bound with string so that all the pieces would dry in the same shape and fit together well for reassembly.
    11) It was then put to sleep in my warm loft for 10 days to gradually dry out.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.   US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.  

US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.   US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.  

US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.
    P
    Many

Default Re: US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.

I like that great idea ,I will probably try that next time.

Luckstrike,
    That old boot is looking good Are you going to get a pro to re-stitch it, or have a go yourself?
    Regards, Simon.

Continues.
    12) To strengthen the finished boot I first tackled the rubber sole which was glued across its cracks.
    13) This was then held in shape by string and left to dry..
    14) & 15) The top of the boot was then reassembled with the toe cap and heal reinforcement glued back together. These were again held in place and shape by string until the glue had dried.

The now completed and strong top of the boot was then glued back onto the repaired sole. Once the glue was dry any gaps around the edge were filled with small off-cuts from what was left of the inner sole.
    The boot top was then finished off with a gentle brush from a suede brush which removed the last traces of dust and soil, it also fluffed up the leather surface a little. I then bought a contemporary looking cotton boot lace which was added and laced correctly. Finally the rubber sole and heal were given a thin smear of black boot polish and polished.
    16) 17) 18) & 19) The finished boot, I know its not perfect but I don't expect that, it shows its age after 66+ years beneath the soil. It's now preserved, its strong and its safe. But most of all it now makes an interesting display piece to go with all the other Evesham finds.
    Thank You.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.   US Boot from the Evesham forum dig.  

Regards, Simon.

Hi Simon,
    Although the stitching would have been nice, the leather is still very dry and as it is only for display it doesn't really need the strengh that the threads would offer. It wouldn't really make economic sense to get it stitched I think either so I settled for the glue, Im happy with the outcome all the same.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

I really like this .you did great work.

Thanks jimpy.
    Chris, As you can see, although it can be time consuming to do as long as it is done in stages you usually get pleasing results. You have a top class German relic collection, so if you ever recover any German boots you'll find that because of the quality of the leather used to make them, they'll usually be in a good starting state of preservation that doesn't usual require to much work to make them presentable. Good Luck if you ever have a go.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Very nice work!

Cheers, Ade.