Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

When Handling Your Items Do You Wear Gloves?

Article about: Hi Just wondering if when handling your items do you wear gloves? I have heard many different ways of handling your items though this way seems to be the most recommended. Thanks Cameron

Default Re: When Handling Your Items Do You Wear Gloves?

Quote by Rigormortis View Post
    I might not be too knowlegeable about most things but I do know that bare hands on items especially those of metals or alloys can be quite damaging over time. I always try to wear gloves when handling any item regardless of what they're made of and how much they've been handled by gloveless hands prior. I usually buy a box of latex or nylon gloves from Walmart or wherever and keep handy just for this purpose, I prefer disposeable gloves to those that are reuseable for the sole reason I can use a brand new pair each time so there isn't a buildup of dust,etc. on the gloves. Gloveless handling and storage of items in any kind of Ziploc bags make me cringe when I see it. Aside from heat & humidity these are 2 of the most potentially damaging things for Collectibles IMO.
    Hi

Thanks for the information!

Cameron

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement When Handling Your Items Do You Wear Gloves?
    P
    Many

?

I wear a condom because I get a boner.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I try to if I can find them. Failing that I only handle them by the pin or ribbon and avoid putting my fingerprints over the item. My daggers are kept in socks so I've always got those to use.
    Interesting. Are they also hidden in your sock drawer? lol

I try to wear cotton gloves whenever possible, but at the very least wear them when handling medals. Dealers at shows also seem to appreciate you much more when you show care by handling their items with gloves.

When I handle my patches and medals I don't wear gloves. The items don't get damaged, don't worry. They're all in sealed cases. They will see the next century.

Nazi Germany may have ended a long time ago, but it's items may last forever. At least the metal parts.

I was at a military museum recently and noticed a sword in the display case had fingerprints that turned to rust, they made the mistake of handling it with bare hands before putting it in the display case, for short term you wont notice if you wipe them off and check them often, but for long term storage or display, sweat from handling could cause damage over time

I dont wear gloves, but I have dry hands and live in a low humidity environment

firearms always get wiped off with a gun cloth before putting away

Quote by battle gear View Post
    I was at a military museum recently and noticed a sword in the display case had fingerprints that turned to rust, they made the mistake of handling it with bare hands before putting it in the display case, for short term you wont notice if you wipe them off and check them often, but for long term storage or display sweat from handling could cause damage over time

I dont wear gloves, but I have dry hands and live in a low humidity environment
    Hi

Thanks for the information!

I have ordered some cotton gloves.

Cameron

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I try to if I can find them. Failing that I only handle them by the pin or ribbon and avoid putting my fingerprints over the item. My daggers are kept in socks so I've always got those to use.
    You can keep them in silicone socks meant for storing guns. It'll protect them from the elements.

?

A good question, and some fine advice from fellow members.

I would care to add a little advice regarding paper items...

Firstly, for those with precious (aren't they all?) examples, who wish to keep them safe from harm but still desire to show them or admire them on display, scans of originals, if well presented, can make excellent display pieces. Signed documents are a great example in this respect. This allows one to keep the original piece safe and sound, whether it be in a safety deposit box or wherever. With regards to the actual storage of paper pieces, acid free plastic sleeves are a fine option, but remember that sunlight and air are paper's enemies too, so with that in mind, keep them in an airtight, dark place without exception.

Regards,

Carl

?

Grainger's has cotton inspection gloves 12 pair for $8.37. I have some, I don't use them for everything - but when needed they come in pretty handy.

CONDOR Inspection Gloves, White, Cotton, PK12 - Inspection Gloves - 4JC99|4JC99 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast