Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Is that winter camo hiding under there?

Article about: I present to you an M35 that has taken a lot of abuse. Found in Norway, and so the question is if the white paint on this helmet is war time applied or not. The rust is atleast bleeding thro

ulv
    ?

Default Is that winter camo hiding under there?

I present to you an M35 that has taken a lot of abuse. Found in Norway, and so the question is if the white paint on this helmet is war time applied or not. The rust is atleast bleeding through it, so it's been there a while. As you can see it's covered in glossy black paint, and someone seems to have taken a sander to it at some point.. Markings: 4478 SE??

I just want to see if it's worth my time to preserve the white paint, or just simply take everything off and repaint it.. Hoping for the former, and then restore it by painting in the blanks the best I can to make it presentable. Given it's as beaten up as it is.. One big worry is the paint mark on the inside of the helmet, just under where the liner band would be. Seems odd as a soldier wouldn't take out the liner to paint his helmet. Also it looks like there is beige paint around the inside brim and skirt that reminds me of a KM camo helmet I own (that has white paint marks in places as well). Insights and ideas are very much welcomed

Thanks for your time

Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?Is that winter camo hiding under there?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is that winter camo hiding under there?
    P
    Many

This helmet has been very much messed with many coats of paint and the only one that looks a little promising in my opinion is the area inside the rear skirt. The shell is almost relic as evidenced by the abraded edge to the front visor. Even after stripping back the top layers I don’t think that the result would be representative of an original snow camo.

Andy

ulv
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    This helmet has been very much messed with many coats of paint and the only one that looks a little promising in my opinion is the area inside the rear skirt. The shell is almost relic as evidenced by the abraded edge to the front visor. Even after stripping back the top layers I don’t think that the result would be representative of an original snow camo.

Andy
    It is an ugly duckling that's for sure. The black paint seems to chip off easily enough. I guess I'll just have a go at removing the top layer and take it from there. Nice to have a project that isn't high risk

Sadly even with the ugly black gloss removed I'm not sure what you will be left with is anything pretty. Someone has taken all the paint from the top with some aggressive paint remover. But there is no harm in trying on a relic shell like this.