Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!

Article about: by Ewan Stirling thats somthing i would rest untill i had Yeah, it really bothers me when I see him pull out of his driveway with it on. My other neighbor has an arisaka his grandad brought

Default ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!

hi guys i have had this lid over the past few months it was my fathers and hes had it about 15 years+ he says it had a original dull metal finish on places and black post war paint here and there so he painted it AGAIN but green this time and put some of his club insignias on the sides etc (hes a biker) and is a bit of a doofus for doing this

he says it had the ww2 liner band in it when he got it but no liner he also remembers it was hard to come out the lid when he primered it and painted it so inlisted the help of a screwdriver so the liner band is bent in a few places he then wrapped an old leather jacket color around the band and taped it up.

well today i set about it for 20 mins with some nail varnish remover and found the base metal to have a nice old dark patina also found under the bottom coat of black a nice sheild outline of the decal its mostly well gone to time but it has alot of bits sparkling all over the shot defo silver or gold metal like, you can see it in hand no problem.

its marked in the skirt ET66 cant see a lot number did these trannys have lot numbers?maybe under the paint the liner band is also maker marked and dated 1941 also has 66/59 which i take to be the shell/liner size marks.

real sad this old lid had to go through all this, then have me attack it with nail varnish remover yet again which i dont reakon i should have done, well with nail varnish remover anyway, it would take years to come of with that alone can anyone please tell me what would be better to use? once all the postwar paint is off it will look much better!

i figured it had already been messed with anyway so what the hell?

cheers for any infos i sure wish i had somebody that knew what they were doing

regards,ewan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!   ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!  

ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!   ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: ww1 tranny restore, well kind of!!

At least you have a good project. I know a neighbor that did this to a rare German helmet, I don't remember what it was. I want to buy it from him but he still needs it. Oh well.

Ewan, by the thread banner I thought this was going to be about an Edwardian cross dresser !........seriously, your helmet looks to be a Model 1916 stahlhelm, does it still have the M91 chinstrap posts ? I see the air vent lugs are missing, these can be bought, it depends if you are going to do a full retoration back to WW1 spec or as a transitional helmet, "ET66" is mm for "Eisenhuettenwerke Thale A.G., Thale /Harz" they made sizes 60-68, 66 is a large size. Seeing the condition it is in you may as well go the full hog and strip/paint and install a liner.There will be a batch/lot number under the paint on the inside of the crown area.
    Prost ! Steve.

cheers for the comments guys! steve thanks for the model as i know nothing of these lids atall, it does still have the the old style chin strap lugs in the inside skirt and yes my father removed the lugs and put in two rubber bungs before painting i am going to go the full hog now and strip it to the bare base metal you see in the last pic above before the liner band pics start but i need to know what to do it with as that nail varnish remover will take forever the green paint is like for machinery or something! would like to find two air vent lugs whare would i find them steve mate? also just off the phone with my old man and tells me he got it painted black like that around 1985 when i was born so i think those decal remains could be from a wartime decal he also says that steel ring was inside it aswell so maybe it has been a ww2 reissue? would like to find a rough leather from a ww2 period liner to put in it once its stripped clean and new air vent lugs hopefully cheers steve.

regards ewan

Ewan, by the thread banner I thought this was going to be about an Edwardian cross dresser !........

steve i like it

thats what i was thinking and in the end it will be ALOT more easy on the eyes as that green was horrid and because of this always in the cuboard keep on that helmet the neighbour has you never know

Ewan, try this site, reproduction helmet components I bought a set of air vents/lugs from him (I restored a Finnish M16 that was missing its lugs), they are a bugger to fit, as you must peen them over to hold the interior washers in.....
    Prost ! Steve.

^ Yeah, I am. The good up is he is my father's buddy. So if he never needs a favor from my dad......I believe he got it from an antique store and got it painted black. It might be WW2 German Police. I hope it is!

Quote by oradour View Post
    Ewan, try this site, reproduction helmet components I bought a set of air vents/lugs from him (I restored a Finnish M16 that was missing its lugs), they are a bugger to fit, as you must peen them over to hold the interior washers in.....
    Prost ! Steve.
    cheers steve, i now want lugs for it and have some oxalic acid coming from ebay will get better pics of it soon with the liner band back in, really glad he left the old chinstrap hangers on

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    ^ Yeah, I am. The good up is he is my father's buddy. So if he never needs a favor from my dad......I believe he got it from an antique store and got it painted black. It might be WW2 German Police. I hope it is!
    thats somthing i would rest untill i had

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast