Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Singer Industrial machine Class 31K47

Article about: This maybe of interest to some, here's my WWII Class 31K47 Singer industrial sewing machine, this is a walking foot model, and was the work horse of WWII, this machine was used to make unifo

?

Default WWII Singer Industrial machine Class 31K47

This maybe of interest to some, here's my WWII Class 31K47 Singer industrial sewing machine, this is a walking foot model, and was the work horse of WWII, this machine was used to make uniforms webbing items and light leather goods. Singers even made a special model 31SV52 (SV + special variety) which was dropped by parachute on D-day, to be used by Rigger units to repair equipment in the combat zone.

Here's the machine as purchased

After restoration and full rebuild, including new paint work and home Decals.

This machine had, one careful lady owner from new , and although had been modified over the years, they kept all the original parts and spares in an old 24 hr ration pack tin. I was very lucky as the machine had not had a lot of heavy wear, as it had not been used in a factory and so was in fantastic condition, and so it stitches very nicely and works as good as the day it was made at the Clydebank factory in 1940

The original factory delivery labels, and warning tag's

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Singer Industrial machine Class 31K47
    P
    Many

Rick
    ?

Default Re: WWII Singer Industrial machine Class 31K47

Thats a must for authentic repairs to uniforms ect excellent peice of history

My Aunt has a similar late war model but not tredal operated, i think its a heavy domestic version. she used to work for Austin Reed and among other things supplied Winston Churchill's shirts and and underpants still has left over silk liberated from the stores.

Thanks for showing the pics, any one got one of the airbourne version, i didnt even know there were such rigger units, make sense when you think about it.

regards
    Rick

?

Hi Rick,
    here's a link to another fourm

NeedleBar Picture Library - 31/31SV52

As you can see this is not that much different from the factory models.

Nige.

Rick
    ?

Hi Nige

Very similar machine to my Aunts but the motor is a lot smaller on hers.

Rick

olivier43
    ?

Hello Nige H
    congratulation for this verry nice topic

We have two sewing machines class 31k47
    they are in poor external condition and we intend to restore them
    please advise us where is the best supplier for paint or warnish
    we have'nt find found any genuine spares nor paint in France

Best regards
    Olivier 43

?

Hi Olivier 43,
    For paint I would use modern Automotive finishes, black base solid colour, and then lacquer for the high gloss finish (if your going to apply the decals). As to part suppliers I use these two company's

College Sewing

College Sewing Machine Parts Ltd

Sew Europe

Parts for SINGER 31K* 331K* and* 431K Walking Foot Machines

Please note these parts are not all genuine Singer ones, Singers parts are now very hard to find outside of the U.S.A. also Singer will not ship parts outside the continental United States. The Decals/ Transfers are not available for industrial machines, so I made my own. Basically the new parts supplied by these two company's are all that are readily available, if you require any other parts you could try John Garde Co of Canada but most of his parts are old stock, and possibly pre-used.

John Garde Co

Parts

Finally the correct needles which are Class 16 x 87 are no longer available, ether use a different Class 16 needle or use could do as I've done, and switch to Class 29 and retime the machine to use the longer needle size, the Class 29 "Patcher" machine is still made and so Singers still makes the needles, plus the heavier needle sizes are still available in Class 29, such as 21, 22 and 23 gauge, plus various needle points, including round, and leather types.

All best Nige.

?

Hi nige h , i dont know if this place still exists, but there used to be a shop in Brixton , that repaired all types of Singer sewing machines and sold spare parts for all periods of machines, he used to have some very antique looking ones in the shop window, and if memory serves correct ,he also sold old threads and cottons on wooden reels, he also repaired period costumes with the same machines, dont know if this would help, he might still be there, sorry but i dont know the exact address.

Granny Lee
    ?

I have a Singer 31sv52 sewing machine. Do you have any further information you are willing to share on the subject?

Granny Lee
    ?

I Just saved one of the 31sv52 models from the dump. Anyone know what it is worth cleaned up?
    Last edited by Granny Lee; 02-23-2014 at 11:16 PM.