Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Asbestos in Brodie?

Article about: Hi Folks, Just acquired a 1917 Brodie, the one with the rubber ring in the crown. It in very nice complete condition, however my question is about the white 'pad' under the ring. The felt co

Default Asbestos in Brodie?

Hi Folks,

Just acquired a 1917 Brodie, the one with the rubber ring in the crown. It in very nice complete condition, however my question is about the white 'pad' under the ring. The felt covering it has all gone, and I believe this pad is asbestos. It looks solid and I'd rather not try and remove it, but recognize its a health hazard (it will be displayed in my glass case but could be handled from time to time).

Can anyone advise on how best to stabilize or 'seal' this pad without disturbing it or damaging the rest of what is a very original liner? Or do I need to take steps to remove this pad?

Thanks

I don't know if that was used in these helmets, but just for a purely practical answer I'm thinking some kind of resin, I imagine there is a product designed for just this application. Try B&Q

I think i remember reading that they did have asbestos in the liners of some helmets, as for sealing it you could spray or paint it with a clear polyurethane lacquer which will stop any fibres falling away. You need to be exposed to asbestos for quite a while to develop asbestosis but a bigger danger is lung cancer, it can develop after breathing only a few fibres!..