Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Can a glass case hurt my stuff?

Article about: It's always nice to assist young collectors. No worries Aleks, and thank you for the kind words. PM received and they will be in the mail this week. Cheers Doug

Default Can a glass case hurt my stuff?

I was wondering if my stuff can get damaged or not. Thanks in advance.
    Can a glass case hurt my stuff?

Damaged by ?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

As long as you keep it away from prolonged direct sunlight and the backing material is a natural cloth all should be well!....

I recommend avoiding exposure to direct sunlight, as it tends to affect medal-ribbons and paper-items over a period of time...
    cheers, Glenn

And Gunny beat me to it, lol...

Quote by Chrisk View Post
    I was wondering if my stuff can get damaged or not. Thanks in advance.
    Hello Chris,
    It is possible that the foam behind the cloth backing is not archival safe and could produce outgassing during it's deterioration. This could cause damage to your awards.
    Archival safe foam can be purchased at Micheals rather inexpensively.
    Also, keep out of direct sunlight as Gunny has stated.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Even indirect sunlight and heat can cause fading over time, depending on the material.

As others have said, always use acid-free, archival materials and glass with UV coating.

Your display case looks great, by the way.

i also believe direct sunlight is a no no as the other fine members have stated ,now i have a daft question relating to this kind of display ,is there any danger from the sun somehow igniting whats on display or would it need to be magnified first ,supposing there were period spectacles or monocle etc involved

Quote by James C View Post
    i also believe direct sunlight is a no no as the other fine members have stated ,now i have a daft question relating to this kind of display ,is there any danger from the sun somehow igniting whats on display or would it need to be magnified first ,supposing there were period spectacles or monocle etc involved
    A possibility mate if a lens is involved, but if the lens is flat to the cloth it should be no problem!...

My cabinet and cases are away for sunlight, and the red backing is fabric over some foam. Im not 100 percent sure what the fabric is made of, my local museum uses the same fabric. Thanks for all of the help and tips guys

I keep many different materials/items behind glass, similar to
    the above display case, but stored in drawers - done so for
    years - and I have not noticed any problems or ill effects
    with any of them.

Extreme fluctuations in temperature and humidity are
    the worst enemy of any and all antiques
    and collectibles.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast