Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Forum Auction

Article about: How does one participate?

Well, I didn't actually know what your specific reasoning was but now I do... so, thank you for clarifying.

If that's actually a legitimate worry on these kinds of forums I think that speaks more to the maturity of the participants rather than the auction format itself though. I must admit I'm not for this kind of "babysitting" as I feel grownups really should know better than to behave like children if they lose out on something, if not they shouldn't be here in the first place IMO, but... oh well, there's always EBAY

Just my thoughts on this particular issue, not a dig on forum policy or anything.

Often when the seller doesn't know what a fair price is, an auction sale will crystalise a fair price for those sellers.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hi Slados, I can not help but think that an "Auction" style sale is a bit of a cop out?? However, it is one which I use myself as I do not attend collectors fairs and often have little or no idea of up to date current prices. Ergo if, in my ignorance, I misprice high, I will be laughed at and if I misprice low I will lose out when someone gets more of a bargain than they perhaps deserve. I am on this Forum to learn both about the suject and values etc and see the "auctioning" of items that are original to be part of my education? I have no confidence in buying from E Bay as such a high percentage of what is on offer is crap and the prices are all over the place. Additionally, any items offered to me by members on PM's invariably come with "make me an offer". So realy, what is the difference? I am more inclined to agree with Stefan M for the reasons stated.

With regards to Big Ned, I can see where you are comming from and I largely agree with you however, an elderly collector like me who has been out of German buying and selling for quite a few years, could come badly unstuck if I followed your philosophy and have the potential to lose a lot of money through under pricing. I had intended to put some of my spare swords and other German "stuff" up for "Auction" or "Trade" through the Forum but if it is likely to cause problems then I will have to find a different method of disposal. This is a shame as it is likely to loose some interesting German Militaria to our fellow Forum Members. As a "for instance", I let a Luftwaffe DK in gold, cloth version, go a couple of years back and got a fraction of its value due to my own ignorance and lack of up to date values. Hay ho!!

Just my opinions Regards Michael R

?

In retrospect, had I known what I was getting into, I would have NEVER put my cuff title up for auction -- I presume you guys know that the eventual winner (jorkataaa) simply vanished when it came time to pay up. I'm not sure I understand what or where the initial discomfort with auctions stems from, but from my point of view, the total absence of accountability makes them a dodgy prospect. Pass it off to lessons learned I suppose.

Quote by big ned View Post
    How amusing. Buying anything from ebay is almost wholeheartedly condemned by this forum yet here we are going down the same path, bidding on an item until the highest bidder at the end wins. Double standards and a route of selling that will probably end up causing more upset amongst the membership than it's worth. Afterall, there is a reason why 'highest bidder wins' auctions are not held on other well thought of forums like WAF, GCA, GMIC etc.

I believe standards are being allowed to slip, but then again, needs as must when the Devil drives I suppose.....

Ned.
    Quote by big ned View Post
    Nothing worries me. But you have partially answered your own question, discord always eventually appears when these 'highest bidder wins' auctions are implemented, that is why they are not used on other serious collector forums, it causes s*** that isn't needed.

Put up a fair price, first come first served, no arguments.

Ned.
    Hot damn! I still got de ol' magic!!

Forum Auction
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello John,
    He was on line on the 16th of this month.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The difference between us and other auctions like ebay etc, the percentage of being a bad item is a minimum. We are the relevant place for militaria collectibles. And why not to sell with us, we just need to update the rules. And, I think I will change the soft for the classified, due current are not fit the forum requirements
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by John P View Post
    In retrospect, had I known what I was getting into, I would have NEVER put my cuff title up for auction -- I presume you guys know that the eventual winner (jorkataaa) simply vanished when it came time to pay up. I'm not sure I understand what or where the initial discomfort with auctions stems from, but from my point of view, the total absence of accountability makes them a dodgy prospect. Pass it off to lessons learned I suppose.
    Sorry things went badly for you mate, as for accountability if people don't pay without good reason they have no place on this forum!...

I'm assuming he was held accountable in the fashion of expulsion... no? If not he certainly should have been... There's always one or two bad eggs, so to speak and it's really too bad you had to encounter one --- just don't let that speak for the whole forum "community", as I believe it has proven to be a valuable asset in identifying and appraising your items... (for free) and, as far as I know, there's no fee charged for listing here either (again, another service provided for free). I would put it up as a BIN listing or offer it to the next highest bidder... if possible.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    I'm assuming he was held accountable in the fashion of expulsion... no? If not he certainly should have been...
    I am sure Ade will deal with this.
    Quote by slados28 View Post
    as far as I know, there's no fee charged for listing here either (again, another service provided for free).
    I believe if you are not a "pink" member there is a minimal fee for each posting.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast