Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How does Auto save work ??

Article about: A problem that has plagued many of us has happened to one of the forums greater and seasoned collector..after typing a reply with pertinent research information..only for their computer to c

Default How does Auto save work ??

A problem that has plagued many of us has happened to one of the forums greater and seasoned collector..after typing a reply with pertinent research information..only for their computer to crash and lose the whole page. This haas happened to me also plenty of times..sometimes 2 or 3 times in the same night. I have also noticed this happens on this forum only..and would be great question for our Tech guru " Dimas "

When typing a reply we have noticed a little yellow flash on the lower right hand corner of our Reply box " Autosave"

1. Can someone here who also had experienced this mishap be able to educate myself and countless others of their loss of text during typing a reply?

2. is there a way to retrieve what was lost ..and find that purgatory place where it may be held?

3. What is the function of autosave..and why does it flash at certain moments during our typing..this must be some sort of protection to see this yellow sign pop up at certain intervals.

Thoughts Gents ?? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I can't answer the technical questions about the "autosave" function (although I am sure Dimas will soon do so), but when it comes to the problem of lost data from a post-in-the-making, I would like to offer a workaround of sorts:

This has happened to me in the past, too, so whenever I write a really long post, I have made a habit of typing the text in an MS Word document saved to my PC first and then to copy & paste it in whole.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 06-04-2015 at 06:32 PM.

?

Really pi$$es you off when that happens.

Hi Larry, I have no idea if the text actually gets saved to somewhere.

Dim is the man for this.

Like Andreas, if I am typing up a complex reply, I play safe and write it off the forum , then paste it up.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I am pretty sure Auto Save works when you are still on the same page. That is why when you have typed something out and attempt to go to another page, a window pops up and asks if you wish to leave this page or stay on this page. The new window states that all changes to the editor will be lost.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I have also lost text because I walked away from the computer for30 mins..and the forum timed me out and unknowingly i started typing again..and went to click "Post Reply" ..and the next window was i had been signed out !!...for lack of movement on the forum. Is there away to adjust the forums "timeout" before it signs me out ? Im sure others have been plagued by this inconvenience. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill