MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Manners Maketh The Man

Article about: As a relative 'newbie' I hope I am not speaking out of turn when I say Im quite surprised at the number of posts where individuals cant even be bothered to open the post with a greeting and

Default Manners Maketh The Man

As a relative 'newbie' I hope I am not speaking out of turn when I say Im quite surprised at the number of posts where individuals cant even be bothered to open the post with a greeting and immediately launch into a request for information using terminology such as 'Whats this?' or 'Any Ideas ?' (I say request but in many cases they dont even manage a please or thanks in anticiptaion). Ignoring the idiots who join and on the same day submit photos with 'How much is this worth?' (as they tend to get short shrift from members anyway) I am genuinley aghast at the lack of manners by some who visit this site.

I appreciate in some cases there can be language problems but even I can manage a please and thank you in about 10 languages and at worst can always rely on an online translator.

Yes I know Im a grumpy old man ... but Im entitled to be.

So come on guys a bit of decorum and cheery banter will probably improve your chances of a better response anyway ....

?

Welcome to the forum Ackworth14. Glad you are here. I hope the Core Member Base here and Moderators will embrace this thread and be candid and fair in adding sage and wisdom to the chili with responses.

Your post is not only spot on but absolutely splits the arrow in the bullseye with some salty truth. This forum is loaded with great MEN who have dedicated themselves to this hobby of collecting Militaria. They also dedicate themselves to each other here on many levels.

We have some young bucks and even some lazy old bucks who come through the forum forest looking for a doe and want it quick and easy. They are all too eager, rutted up on an item, have little knowledge, have not looked at threads, no research done and lack training in the art of communication. The dominate bucks here remain and run them off quickly. Sorry I am a hunter but the analogy fits.

Manners miss the target at times and it is nice to see a new voice and fresh face here call out the junk on the bunk. I have been here 3 years and stayed away from forums most of my collecting life. I can say the core here is very strong and the weak are filtered and are swiftly dismissed. We are a pretty fair bunch if your not stupid is a plain way to put it. Bottom line what you speak of is simple and easy to do if pride and laziness is set aside. We all can take time to communicate in a civil, precise and professional manner.

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Extract from United States Field Manual

"Courtesy among members of the Armed Forces is vital to maintain military discipline. Military courtesy means good manners and politeness in dealing with other people. Courteous behavior provides a basis for developing good human relations. The distinction between civilian and military courtesy is that military courtesy was developed in a military atmosphere and has become an integral part of serving in uniform.". Military courtesy has been established, over the years, to establish and maintain order and structure that is the backbone of the military.

?

Last edited by Rossi; 11-30-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

We unfortunately now live in an age of entitlement and lack of manners. The come-and-go members on this forum are a microcosm for the world at large, and it is likely to only get worse. Gone are the days when manners and decorum were valued, replaced by a 'gimme now' culture that emphasizes promptness over politeness. As someone who works with the general public everyday, and sees this everyday, I have given up on people at large. If you can't muster a 'please' and a 'thank you,' are you really worth decent peoples' time?

My only hope is that the ways of the 'old fashioned' gent do not go extinct. Though the way things look presently, it might already be too late.

B.B.

I think I may be guilty of this myself... mostly because I was anxious and excited to find out if I had good stuff or junk.

?

Politeness of manners identifies that behavior best suited for everyday social intercourse. Appropriate habits of interaction emerge when we accept the inherent worth of each individual. Simple courtesies, even if only a smile, a pleasant disposition or a word of thanks, help foster a culture of mutual respect. Good manners mean that we do not treat others in ways that are cold, condescending or utilitarian

Well said all and thanks for calling this out......sadly I have to agree with Mr Bartfast (for the UK at least)...I think the saying is "hell in a hand cart".... All the pleasantries are dying...all the social skills being lost.....everything is considered a right, everything must be had today, teachers are blamed when the parents fail and respect is fast becoming a thing of the past….even spelling and basic grammar have gone to r@t$h!t (yes, yes I know) and it won't come back. Sadly "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" only cuts in when one is old/mature and only then might one realise what a nasty piece of work one was several decades ago...but by then it is too late. It does raise a much less important concern with me...if this is how equals are treated, what is going to happen to the historical artefacts we all collect.....one day they’ll all be in their hands.

….and whilst I’m spouting, we have to be careful ourselves. I believe a forum is a place where respect generates learning, sharing, information etc. – one word posts such as “Fake!” (often seen here) are none of those and damage this sites reputation.

…..and finally, in the highly unlikely event that every forum member reads this…….”your” is about ownership, possession etc …your hat, your car, your helmet….whilst “you’re” is the correct abbreviation for “you are”...you’re a great Forum member, you’re picky grammatically (to be picky being the verb) and perhaps most relevant.... you’re gonna hate this :-)

'looks like it's down to us to save the world....@ list we dnt rite lik dis!!.....yet…….

Quote by Composite View Post
    Well said all and thanks for calling this out......sadly I have to agree with Mr Bartfast (for the UK at least)...I think the saying is "hell in a hand cart".... All the pleasantries are dying...all the social skills being lost.....everything is considered a right, everything must be had today, teachers are blamed when the parents fail and respect is fast becoming a thing of the past….even spelling and basic grammar have gone to r@t$h!t (yes, yes I know) and it won't come back. Sadly "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" only cuts in when one is old/mature and only then might one realise what a nasty piece of work one was several decades ago...but by then it is too late. It does raise a much less important concern with me...if this is how equals are treated, what is going to happen to the historical artefacts we all collect.....one day they’ll all be in their hands.

….and whilst I’m spouting, we have to be careful ourselves. I believe a forum is a place where respect generates learning, sharing, information etc. – one word posts such as “Fake!” (often seen here) are none of those and damage this sites reputation.

…..and finally, in the highly unlikely event that every forum member reads this…….”your” is about ownership, possession etc …your hat, your car, your helmet….whilst “you’re” is the correct abbreviation for “you are”...you’re a great Forum member, you’re picky grammatically (to be picky being the verb) and perhaps most relevant.... you’re gonna hate this :-)

'looks like it's down to us to save the world....@ list we dnt rite lik dis!!.....yet…….

Text speak is the scourge of this earth!

Quote by bexinthecity247 View Post
    text speak is the scourge of this earth!
    lol pmsl lmao faf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast