Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

More Problems - Search Function No Longer Works As Before.

Article about: This new software the forum has started using is to my mind an unmitigated disaster. Sorry for being blunt, but besides the problems with spam, virus alerts, failed blocking of Google ads fo

Default More Problems - Search Function No Longer Works As Before.

This new software the forum has started using is to my mind an unmitigated disaster. Sorry for being blunt, but besides the problems with spam, virus alerts, failed blocking of Google ads for WRF Club members and a lot of other technical things that members have recently complained about, now it appears that the search function is not working correctly.

Previously you could type in practically anything, a name, part of a quote, whatever, press the icon and be directed to a list of up to 10 pages where the threads that could be linked to the request were titled in light blue script that turned to green to show it had been viewed when you clicked back to look at another thread concerning your desired search for a certain article/item/quote highlighted.

This has now vanished. All I'm getting is random pages of threads posted or answered in the last few days. It now seems obvious surely that this new software is not fit for purpose, and no matter how hard the technical staff try to resolve a problem; it's like lopping off one of the Hydra's heads, another two immediately spring forth.....everytime.

I fully expect this thread to be locked very quickly by mod's who may be flapping big style, and don't know how to give a detailed response to these issues, but I think it would be fair to enlighten the membership, especially the ones who financially support the forum in some way, as to why this is happening and what can be done about it (if anything), and is it perhaps time to go back to the previous software that seemed to work perfectly well.

If that's not an option, how about some different software system that is compatible with all aspects of the forum and classified ad's that actually is going to work correctly and in tandem, is that a possibility??

Sorry for the rant, but in my opinion and some others I have spoken with privately here, this new system is nothing short of a massive mistake that is going to affect the forum and it's members in an extremely negative way unless something is quickly sorted out to restore what was the best forum in the hobby to it's former level, as the way things are looking at the moment standards of a technical nature are not only slipping, they're in freefall.

Absit Invidia, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I had noticed some strange happenings and the reappearance of ads at the page top. ( although the Russian ladies appear innocent enough )

I am adverse to change as well unless the software became unsupported ( which i know does happen )

Please help lower our blood pressure, Ned 's not a young man!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

To add insult to injury i'm now seeing adverts for ebay at the top of pages!....

Edit. I've also noticed when using the "go to last post" icon, a lot of the time it takes you to the first post!...

Yeah, I too could do without the advertising and
    liked the way the old 'search' feature worked.

I've also been expecting those Admin ads from
    German fleabay to run out of items soon !
    I skim through a page or two of these
    ads before finding regular member
    postings........
    Regards,

Steve.

No Russian ladies on my end --- although, unlike some others, I'd actually love for there to be

Seriously though, not having any of the problems addressed... must be some kind of browser config. thing or something. The ebay ads run on the right hand side, as always --- they don't bother me none, I actually got a cool Ortsgruppe Beischild because of one of those some time back... also, I only use the latest post thing at the top anyway.

Im not seeing the ads you guys are. i havent had problems..ive got Adblock plus on my browser, so i dont know if that could help you guys.. i use firefox, its free and its brilliant for Facebook and any pop ups https://adblockplus.org/

?

I am getting frustrated, why cant i see any russian ladies in my goggle ads? I demand to see this aswell.

mpw
    ?

I think Ned raises some very good points. I am sure like many here the reason for going pink was to support this excellent forum and to be able to navigate around without being bombarded by pointless advertising. I understand advertising raises revenue but a healthy balance must be maintained. In a world where we are constantly bombarded by advertising through our letter box and media ( I cant even open the weekend newspaper without a ton of advertising material falling onto my feet... Grrr) it was so refreshing to come here where as a paid member it was kept to a minimum.
    I too noticed the search function has been playing up which is a pain when time is short and a quick access for some research is denied.

Apologies for the mini rant but I feel those that run this fantastic site need to be made aware of the situation as it would be a shame if this became a deciding factor for those considering joining or continuing their memberships.

Regards, Mark.

I totally agree with the above points re. the benefits that are supposed to and surely should follow the Gold membership but, as we also have seen from this thread, it's clear that this is not an issue that pertains to all Gold members --- I'm not using any kind of ad blocker and being a Gold member I'm spared of all these ads, not seeing any of them. So, what I was getting at was simply that this seems to me to be something concerning specific browsers, or something similar, but not necessarily an all round site issue --- I run Firefox. Hope these issues will be resolved even though, of course... ads are annoying as "#%#%ยค%&, especially when you've paid for them not to be there.

I too cannot get rid of the bloody ads and I have Norton Ad blocker running. It is a nuisance that I could do well without, especially as I have not seen one Russian spy (I mean beauty)! Leon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast