Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Poor pics posted with cell phone

Article about: I am new here, I am no moderator, have no credentials. But Doug had posted a thread on "Proper Picture Quality". It is my only problem since being a member here just shy of two wee

Default Poor pics posted with cell phone

I am new here, I am no moderator, have no credentials. But Doug had posted a thread on "Proper Picture Quality". It is my only problem since being a member here just shy of two weeks. I am a member of a closed helmet forum & if any of us posted a helmet using a cell phone, the moderator would delete it before it hit page one.
    Guys...show a little pride in your collection. A cheap digital camera with macro can be bought for $100 these days. Go to an arts & craft shop & buy some white backing paper or poster board for $5.00. If that is too much...break up a cardboard box & spray paint it white or whatever color you choose.

I seriously hurt my neck an hour ago twisting it to look at a posted item that was upside down. I have received a couple of emails asking opinions on helmets where the pics were sent to me via cell phone. Looking at helmets sitting on top of a dog crate, on a kitchen sink, etc.etc. I will no longer entertain that again.

I see very little quality pics being posted here & seems to be at an epidemic proportion. There are certain pixel ranges that really should be observed
    David

?

I think it's rather the way they use their cameras. Believe me, smartphones do not have bad cameras.
    My Samsung S7 has a 4k resolution camera (4k implying about 4000 pixels across, 2000 pixels down). That basically means that if you haven't got a very expensive 4k computer screen, you'll have to zoom in onto the picture. A regular computer screen generally has a resolution of 1920x1080p which is 1k.

Getting a 100 dollar camera, believe me, is worse than the newer generations of smartphones. It's not about the phone cameras, its about how you use them. If you've got problems with a shaky hand that result in a blurry picture, you can get a 10-20 dollar smartphone tripod.

For background, honestly, I generally just use my white dresser or the inside of my white closet which is generally good enough. Not everyone can be bothered going to an arts and crafts store after coming home from their 9 to 5 jobs.

Now since I'm not a webdesigner, I wouldnt know, but I've had problems with pictures twisting once they're uploaded to the forum. I don't understand how it happens, even when I try to edit them in paint and try some other stuff, theres no way to help it. Though I do agree, sometimes it's because people don't notice their camera flipped whilst taking the pictures.

Regards,
    Bas

EDIT: I do know that a major demographic of this forum is, to say it in the most un-offending way, 'of age' and might be out of touch with modern technology, smartphones etc. Maybe the camera option might be more for you, no offense meant at all.

Gimmie your address & I will send you a role of backing paper or a poster board on me. Think most guys are off one day a week, stores stay open where I live until 10:00PM.
    You admit your pics get "twisted". You don't understand why it happens ? Huh ??
    Gimmie a break Gimmie.

?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Give me your address & I will send you a role of backing paper or a poster board on me. Think most guys are off one day a week, stores stay open where I live until 10:00PM.
    You admit your pics get "twisted". You don't understand why it happens ? Huh ??
    Gimme a break.
    I like the use of my name in this one

I'm in a break in collecting currently. Thank you very much for the offer though
    I'm dead serious about the picture twisting thing. I take the picture, make sure that they are not twisted.

-Upload them to dropbox, double check to see if they're not twisted, if they're not, on to the next step.

-Download the pictures to my computer and upload them to the forum in the desired thread.

Hold on, I might still have a thread up that portrays this problem. I always apolagize for twisted pictures. My process of re-taking twisted pictures is flawless.

Edit:An older thread of mine, using the same phone today.
    Looking for some more information on this Jahrbuch!
    You can observe the problem. I even uploaded the exact same images to Imgur where you can see they are upright. See imgur link that I posted in this thread aswell.
    Documents - Album on Imgur
    It may or may not have something to do with the forum layout, but like I said, I'm not a webdesigner and I know nothing of these sorts of problems. Also not that familiar with the staff, so I believe that'd be something for Dimas?

Good for you !!

Always email photos that are on your computer to yourself. Then upload them to the forum uploader. You'll never have another cockeyed photo again... It really doesn't take alot to check and see how the post will look Before posting. If the photo is skewed, then, like I said, go back to your computer and email the photo to yourself and save it. Then upload the saved photo. And This coming from one of those "demographics" on the forum...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Always email photos that are on your computer to yourself. Then upload them to the forum uploader. You'll never have another cockeyed photo again... It really doesn't take alot to check and see how the post will look Before posting. If the photo is skewed, then, like I said, go back to your computer and email the photo to yourself and save it. Then upload the saved photo. And This coming from one of those "demographics" on the forum...
    Thats how I do it,works good for me.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

MAP
    ?

Love this thread.

Agree with everything that has been said. Photo quality is essential to evaluation. Yes every now and then we are "sent" poor photos and that is all we can get, but most times good photos can be taken from even cheap cameras or cell phones (and yes, modern cell phones are excellent). All it takes is "setting" the photo up. Natural light, correct background, proper sizing, "framing" the photo (i.e. angle) and even some post photo editing make the best photos. (and yes, don't upload straight from your phone - iPhones are the worst as they always rotate the pictures)

Also, a light box can be purchased for under $20.00 (or as said, even a painted cardboard box)

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-50x50c...hoto+light+box

Plus there are lots of decent free photo editing software out there.

That said, there is another reason for good photos. This is our hobby. Take pride in what you own. If you are going to spend all that money on an award or a helmet, why not show it off, like you would your new girlfriend!!

I have tried very hard over the last few years to take quality photos. It takes some trial and error, but in the end, it is well worth it.

Test Photo Feedback?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I knew you would agree Map. I have to say that not everyone here is into photography . Most don't carry a camera with them to a show or yard sale/Car boot or local gun shows for macro pic's. Now I do agree if I need an experts opinion. Yes quality pic's are needed , But most are finding items and needing help on the spot and only have their cell phone handy. Ok don't buy that $$$$ item with a cell pic authentication. But to complain about there lack of equipment to the new collector should be left with the advanced collectors forum.
    Just my 2 centavos
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by real steel View Post
    I am new here, I am no moderator, have no credentials. But Doug had posted a thread on "Proper Picture Quality". It is my only problem since being a member here just shy of two weeks. I am a member of a closed helmet forum & if any of us posted a helmet using a cell phone, the moderator would delete it before it hit page one.
    Guys...show a little pride in your collection. A cheap digital camera with macro can be bought for $100 these days. Go to an arts & craft shop & buy some white backing paper or poster board for $5.00. If that is too much...break up a cardboard box & spray paint it white or whatever color you choose.

I seriously hurt my neck an hour ago twisting it to look at a posted item that was upside down. I have received a couple of emails asking opinions on helmets where the pics were sent to me via cell phone. Looking at helmets sitting on top of a dog crate, on a kitchen sink, etc.etc. I will no longer entertain that again.

I see very little quality pics being posted here & seems to be at an epidemic proportion. There are certain pixel ranges that really should be observed
    David
    Hello David,
    Glad to have you on board here at this forum!
    I agree with you 100% about the quality and orientation of posted photos and I try my best to get new members to spend a little time figuring out their problem with posting.
    Also, the reason for this thread in the Orders and Decorations section of the forum.
    Uploading photos and posting multiple items.
    Ralph.

P.S. I have not had one photo show up sideways, never had a problem.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast