Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting images using non-forum image hosting websites - IE. Imageshack , Photobucket & etc

Article about: unsure whther this is in the wrong section am sure a mod can move it but seller who asked if i wanted the NSKK dispatch riders helmet mailed me today and said he had 2 of these if i was inte

Default Re: Afrika Korps pith helmet

i just got a reply from the guy he said they are as he bought them and he didnt replace the insignia i dont think theyre right now when youve got a decent helmet crap insignia spoils it so if i sell these i will advise as regards the insignia.

Both the tropenhelms look a bit odd to me and I would like to see better and more detailed pics if possible, including makers marks or size & date stamps. That eagle on the 2nd tropenhelm does look strange.

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Posting images using non-forum image hosting websites - IE. Imageshack , Photobucket & etc  

the only thing looks odd is the insignia i think

personally i havnt got a problem with the helmet it looks like this one WWII German Tropical Pith Helmet - Afrika Korps (item #884817) the insignia i do agree with the comments though

national shield on first tropenhelm looks to have been on helm for a while and consistant with other age??

?

There is nothing wrong with the pith helmets originality I think the shields are ok. There were many makers of the shields. The left side of the helmet is in rough shape which would make me pass on it.
    I really like the ulans cap. Do not change any insignia on it period. I would love to have it just the way it is.
    SteveR

thanks Steve for that after rooting i found a insignia from a auction room that has got roundish bottom and also a variation in insignia, i agree with that now has there is a variation on some of the luftwaffe cap insignia i own.

Also the Uhlan cavalry czapka i woulnt touch a thing either this one is for sale as is another the guy did have a napleonic shako too i just missed.

Jon

?

Im still not fully convinced about the second pith, apart from the decals, their positioning is strange, the seams of the helmet are not central therefore the decal on the right is placed too far back, the pith liner is suspect to me , it has no holes in the edge for comfort fitting to the head and the outside leather rim appears to be new leather with no wear at all, the sweatband looks very new with no wear and i can see no maker marks unless they are behind the sweatband, do you have any more detailed photos

I think both tropenhelms are the same type of copy, with fake ageing (the rust spots etc...) and fake insignia. The poor quality of the construction and incorrect liner attachment are fairly obvious faults not seen on originals. Agree with all that Davejb said.

Jerry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast